Online "Chat Bots" for ESL Students

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

RedRose

Post by RedRose »

there are many free online chatrooms. I don't wanna pay any for chat.
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

I was thinking about getting the premium version for my Web site just because it's cool (but spooky). :) Alan Turing would not be surprised, but I continue to be amazed at how far technology has come in just the last few years. I remember using computers that had punched paper tape as the storage medium, and have punched my share of BASIC cards. I sure don't miss those days at all...
xixi1014

Post by xixi1014 »

I AGREE THE IDEA OF REDROSE
KuaD

Re: Online "Chat Bots" for ESL Students

Post by KuaD »

It surprising that there isn't more activity in the past year on this post?

Chatbots for ESL students seems to be a growing topic and offering, and the quality of these "agents" is improving (since 2009).

That said, the limitations of chatbots may be becoming apparent as well? The "generalists" seem stuck trying to gain or access so much information that the quality of their conversations has become more "data centric" than conversational?

I like the ESL AI conversational agents I've seen that are more "characters" who engage in specific scenes; not those who try to tackle everything.

I'm not promoting any one in particular, but, if you search "ESL AI" or "Conversational ESL AI" you should come across ones that suit your needs. The advantage of the ones I've seen, compared to "human conversation" is that that you can go back through the same scene over and over and try out different approaches to see all the possibilities that each encounter offers. I've learned a lot from working with these.