What age children stop sleeping with their parents?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

What age children should not share the same bed with their parents?

First born
36%
No votes
No votes
9%
9%
45%

Total votes: 11

MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

shazzam1452 wrote: I think it comes down to your lifestyle. I am a stay at home mother. I left my career after the birth of my second child. As I witnessed the deterioration of my first childs development in daycare situations. I have always committed myself to the day to day care of my children. I'm not saying that all mother's should do the same. I just don't understand the benefit of SLEEPING with your children. I mean think about it you are asleep...What is happening?
You're lucky that you're a housewife now, so you will have more time for your kids than you used to. My cousin's wife started working again after two weeks of giving birth to her first and second sons. For the third son, she decided to stay home for a month to take care of him. After that, she works for eight hours a day. As like I said in my earlier post, she and her husband (my cousin) are considered as busy parents. They go to work at 8 in the morning and get home at 5 in the evening; therefore, they only have several hours with their kids before they all have to go to bed to start another day with the same old things again. How could parents bond with their children when they have only several hours with them for a day? They don't get home and immediately hug their kids for hours. And that's where co-sleeping jumps in. A mother or father who share the bed with their kids normally hug them until they're deeply asleep. The hugging, the little talk before they fall asleep provide them comfort and a loving feeling.
Moreover, when they suddenly wake up at night and see that their parents are around, it will provide them safety; therefore, it will be easier for them to go back to sleep. A child builds trust on his/her new surroundings and people if he/she feels safe. How would a child build his/her trust when he wakes up at night all alone in the dark room?
shazzam1452 wrote: In my opinion quality time is heaps better than quantity of time anyway. There is actually more medical evidence supporting not sleeping in the same bed with your children than for it in Australia.
Exactly! It goes for all. If you can't have quantity time with your children, build it with your quality to make it quantity time and worth in a way of quality time.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

shazzam1452 wrote: I believe every person has a right to do what the and the children feel comfortable with. I don't have a problem at all with parents that chose to share their bed with their children; to whatever age they want really. Age limits don't need to apply.
It is true. Applying either case to your children if you think it will bring them more love and security.
shazzam1452 wrote:Some parents do let their children sleep with them though; then they want them to stop and that is when their difficulties start.
There is one beautiful thing of co-sleeping that you haven't experienced yet, I think. My cousin and his wife share their bed with their children, and for some reason up to a certain age, the children want to be on their own. In other words, their first and second sons asked the permission to have their own rooms. The first son wanted his own room at age five, and the second one wanted his own room at age four, almost five. I'm still trying to figure out how they have done it, but even they can't give me the right answer. I applied it on my own experience and all I could remember is I wanted to have my own room because I thought it was cool :lol: . That's all I could remember of why I wanted to be on my own at that age.
waiting4sunny

why?

Post by waiting4sunny »

WHY?I don't think children shouldn't.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Unfortunately, getting all of your infomation from the Pediatric Association is not a good idea. They are biased and have their politics to worry about just like any other organization. Don't think that because they are doctors the are always correct. The money from huge pharmacutical companies comes into bearing and don't think it doesn't.

So when I see a report saying that children sleeping with parents I have to take it "with a grain of salt". Children have shared beds with parents for thousands of years without problems but still some doctors (probably some type of "shrink") say don't do it.

If doctors were to always be believed why don't they warn against a much worse problem: Sending your kids to Day Care! This is where the real damage to a child is done.

Anyway here is link about sleeping in same bed with your kids.
http://slate.msn.com/id/2020/
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote: If doctors were to always be believed why don't they warn against a much worse problem: Sending your kids to Day Care! This is where the real damage to a child is done.
Yeah, this is quite scary to me, too. My cousin was sent to a baby day care until she was five. And day after day, she was just as skinny as a stick . My aunt tried to feed her all kinda food, but she refused to eat it and only asked for instant noodles. She said she liked it, but my aunt sensed something was wrong so one day she got off work early and went to that baby day care place. She saw several kids were watching movie while eating instant noodles in a bowl plus a cup of soda. That insensitive woman took our money and then fed my cousin with instant noodles and soda. I wonder how she sleeps at night :roll: .
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I have an offline article about co-sleeping by Bruce Bower. It's called raising trust--some forager groups may nurture a sharing sense in their offspring.
The whole article is about how different cultures nurse and nurture their offsprings. It compares how children will turn out in those cultures by the way the parents nurse and nurture. Anyway, this is a part in the article that I think is interesting to share although it has no comparison between cultures,
"British psychiatrist John Bowlby formulated attachment theory more than 30 years ago. Bowlby asserted that infants develop relationship styles based on their emotional experiences with parents or other caregivers. A child's interaction style hinges on a set of basic assumptions-- or what Bowlby called an internal working model-- about what to expect from intimate encounters.
Concerned, attentive parents who react to their child promptly nurture a secure and trusting model of self and others, according to attachment theory. If parents often misread a child's behavior or react to the youngster in unpredictable or insensitive ways, a growing sense of insecurity stokes feelings of anxiety, aggression, and distrust...."
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: What age children stop sleeping with their parents?

Post by Annaa »

It deepens from parents and children :-D .
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

I think after 8 or 9 they should sleep seperately
paulblake

Post by paulblake »

On my opinion, when they have their separate bed, then that's the time. Before, it took them at around 4 years old. But then again, it would be based on their adjustment.