Learn the method of English

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

ChiuanChiuan

Learn the method of English

Post by ChiuanChiuan »

hellow,
What method do you use to learn English
I learn English with English website and Magazine.

can you share your way
mirandaaa

Re: Learn the method of English

Post by mirandaaa »

In my case, I like to listen to popsongs.
I have a lot of music on my homepage. I can share them with my friends who visit my homepage. I also use the website 'Utube' to find lyrics. I really enjoy reading lyrics while listening to music. It helps me to study grammar as well as vocabulary. I want to recommend this way to the people who want to study English in effective way.
lovelylisa

Post by lovelylisa »

Hello.
I'm also an English learner like you!
Let me introduce a method that I'm using these days.
1. Choose one English movie.
2. Find the script of that movie.
3. Watch a movie with the script over and over again.(Or you can use English subtitles, but they pass too fastT.T)
4. When getting accustomed with the lines, watch it without the script.
5. If you can understand every single line, try another movie!!

I like this method because it's not boring.
These days, I'm trying this method with the movie, "Twilight". Because I like this movie very much, I enjoy doing it every time. Also it can improve your English listening and you can get many expressions which are used among native speakers.
netsem

Post by netsem »

I learnt the english from Books reading.
activetraining

Post by activetraining »

I like what lovelylisa wrote as a way to use English!

You can also do the same thing with TV series. It takes quite a lot of focus but it's worth it.

Indeed, there’s a difference between watching TV for sheer entertainment and for the purpose of learning a second language. This method of watching TV will feel as if you had compressed hundreds of hours in as little as 20 or 30 hours because of the intensity of the training.

Unfortunately, even though you might usually think of this as a cool and relaxing activity it’s not going to flow as easily as if you were watching a movie for your personal enjoyment.

First, you need a TV series in DVD format which you can buy or rent at the video store. I recommend a TV series over a movie as this activity will require a lot of focus and even a 20-minute episode will feel like an eternity at first.

Second, what you’ll do is watch one episode scene by scene. That means that you’re going to focus on one scene and repeat it until you’re done. Only after will you be allowed to move on.

So here you are, remote in hand, and you start the episode. Watch the first scene without English subtitles and try to see if you can make out the exact words.

Once you’ve watched the first scene, you play it back but with English subtitles looking for parts of the conversation that you don't understand. At this point, you get ready to press the pause button, to still the image, read the subtitles and look up any words or idiomatic expressions that are new to you.

After that you will play the same scene over without subtitles. If there's a part of the conversation that isn't crystal clear start over but with subtitles. Play back every line with subtitles for each single word that you couldn’t understand. That means that even that one scene will be cut down in several blocks. Remember that you will have to sit through it if you want to be successful. Keep at it until you can understand every single word or 99.9% of them.

Thank you,
clevermae

Post by clevermae »

Reading books or articles aloud. I believe doing so will help train your ears on how to discern what sounds correct and what doesn't.
vernonstamm

Post by vernonstamm »

I teach English via a virtual classroom and Skype. It has been very successful in teaching learners of English the language. Secondly, I give corrections in class and send, via email, comments to the student after each class. These comments also contain the in class corrections for the students future use. Contact me if your interested in learning more.

Vernon Stamm
itao

Post by itao »

My German's friend said to me that wathing movie is the best way how to learn Engulish.
Because, When we study Engulish, we should enjoy learning Engulish. Then my friend told me that we should watch the same movie over and over again until we understand what they say without subtitle.