Is your country a good place to live? Why or why not?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

elfyaashin

Post by elfyaashin »

elfyaashin

Re: Is your country a good place to live? Why or why not?

Post by elfyaashin »

I'm hoping to get various replies as we are looking at things from a different viewpoint even the same country people.

I'm from South Korea. In terms of safety standards, generally South Korea is a good place to live and raise children because I don't usually feel afraid when I walk alone late at night.
rabbill

Post by rabbill »

A country which is a good place to live is a country where the basic human rights exist. I'm from Morocco, it's a country in the North West of Africa. I think my country is a good place to live in because we can live peacefully without wars. The weather here is great so we can go out almost whenever we want to. In my country, even the poor can have something to eat so nobody dies from starvation :D

But there are also a lot of things that i hope they will change for better like pollution, education system, more opportunities of work ...
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

I'm from Catalonia. I live in Barcelona. Catalonia is a good place to live. The live way is Mediterranean. Good meal, fair weather with soft winters and not much hot summers. The people is kind with foreigners and the bars and restaurants are, in summer, open all night long. Tourism is a very important industry. The bad side is our relation with Spain. The Spain's development has been made with the Catalan money. The story has a secular tradition of the Catalan industry and trade relations with all Mediterranean countries for centuries. For three centuries (from 1714) Spain is robbing us and they have a good live with our money. The deficit fiscal with Spain was in 2009 of 20.000.000.000 €. With that amount of our money, they have advantages that we don't have. Here we say that we are only Spaniards to pay taxes to Spain and Catalans to receive nothing from them. If they give us something is contempt and envy. To be happy at all we need independence. Own state. then we would be the fourth richest country in Europe.
raniaaa

Post by raniaaa »

I'm from Sudan, my country is very beautiful place. The weather in Sudan is very hot in summer and fair in winter. In Sudan there is many places for tourism. I hope you come and se our beautiful country.
alawton
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by alawton »

I am from the US. As much as I have enjoyed traveling around and experiencing life in different countries, I will have to say that this is one of the better places to live. The relative lack of extreme poverty and the freedoms we have here can't be beat. I have my share of complaints about some things that go on here, but it is not too bad.

Andrew Lawton
http://drewseslfluencylessons.com
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ArnauEstanyol wrote:I'm from Catalonia. I live in Barcelona. Catalonia is a good place to live. The live way is Mediterranean. Good meal, fair weather with soft winters and not much hot summers. The people is kind with foreigners and the bars and restaurants are, in summer, open all night long. Tourism is a very important industry. The bad side is our relation with Spain. The Spain's development has been made with the Catalan money. The story has a secular tradition of the Catalan industry and trade relations with all Mediterranean countries for centuries. For three centuries (from 1714) Spain is robbing us and they have a good live with our money. The deficit fiscal with Spain was in 2009 of 20.000.000.000 €. With that amount of our money, they have advantages that we don't have. Here we say that we are only Spaniards to pay taxes to Spain and Catalans to receive nothing from them. If they give us something is contempt and envy. To be happy at all we need independence. Own state. then we would be the fourth richest country in Europe.
I'm so happy to see someone from my country here in the forums. Hi Arnau and welcome! Keep posting! ;-)
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

I would say it is rather a good place to die. :-)
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

I'm so happy to see someone from my country here in the forums. Hi Arnau and welcome! Keep posting! ;-)
Thank you, I'm happy too. It's very interesting for me meet people from Catalonia here. If I have a doubt, we can resolve in Catalan. If you want. :-D

I say "if I've a doubt" because you being an English teacher I think you haven't any doubt. So, if you're so nice... I'm a learner...

I hope read your posts soon. Best regards from Sant Boi.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ArnauEstanyol wrote: Thank you, I'm happy too. It's very interesting for me meet people from Catalonia here. If I have a doubt, we can resolve in Catalan. If you want. :-D

I say "if I've a doubt" because you being an English teacher I think you haven't any doubt. So, if you're so nice... I'm a learner...
I'll be glad to help! It's the first time since I've been here that someone from Cat with the same ideas as me has joined in and finally I'm feeling more at home! :mrgreen:
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

Dixie wrote:
ArnauEstanyol wrote: Thank you, I'm happy too. It's very interesting for me meet people from Catalonia here. If I have a doubt, we can resolve in Catalan. If you want. :-D

I'll be glad to help! It's the first time since I've been here that someone from Cat with the same ideas as me has joined in and finally I'm feeling more at home! :mrgreen:
Hi Dixie.
Thank you so much for your offering of help. And I'm glad too to meet someone from Catalonia in here. (I write all name long because if we put only three letters (CAT) somebody may think that we're living into a feline.) :lol:
What do you mean when you say " ... with the same ideas"?. I have no problem to say everybody I think the better for Catalonia is the democratic divorce from Spain. And I take any opportunity to say it. Few people knows what Spain is doing to Catalonia. And this is unfair. Maybe you wouldn't want mean exactly this when you speak me about those ideas.
Well, I hope you don't bother if I'm wrong.
Best regards from Sant Boi. Adeu!! :-P
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ArnauEstanyol wrote: What do you mean when you say " ... with the same ideas"?.
I mean I want independence as well. And I'm really upset about the TC's decision today.
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

Dixie wrote:
ArnauEstanyol wrote: What do you mean when you say " ... with the same ideas"?.
I mean I want independence as well. And I'm really upset about the TC's decision today.
Of course, I agree. The independence is the only way out from the economical, cultural and historical problems that Spain leads us. There is nothing to do with Spain. I prefer to be a good neighbour than an employee who works hard for them and then see them how pulling our money on useless pharaonic constructions.
They should be bothered of our language that constantly is attacked to make it disappear. Three hundred years ago that they hate our language as they have hated the native south American languages and made them disappear.
I hope the world get knowledge of this matter soon.
And I hope too you'll tell me if my sentences structures are well.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ArnauEstanyol wrote:
And I hope too you'll tell me if my sentences structures are well.
I would make a few corrections but I think you made yourself quite clear :mrgreen:

As a teacher, I'm very concerned about the TC's decision. My classes are in English, but I don't think my workmates are going to do theirs in Spanish. It's just surreal. It's like we're going back to Franco's times.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

How do you manage not be assimilated? My ethnic group is being assimilated, I personally speak and think in other language.

Do you think/speak Catalonian often? At work/etc ?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Vega wrote:How do you manage not be assimilated? My ethnic group is being assimilated, I personally speak and think in other language.

What do you mean, often? It's our first language, we speak it all the time.
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

Vega wrote:How do you manage not be assimilated? My ethnic group is being assimilated, I personally speak and think in other language.

I consider Catalan as my first language. I speak Catalan with my family and with my workmates (That is a new word I didn't know. I used to say "companion") and always I can. Thanks Dixie. Moreover I have to tell you that many Catalan people change to Spanish when somebody speak them in that language. On the other hand it don't happen the same when a Catalan speaks in Catalan with a Spanish speaker, although the last one has been living in Catalonia the last forty years. It seems there's not capacity on the Spanish brain for more than Spanish. There is a word on the Spanish language that there's not in Catalan nor English: "cerrazon" what nearly means closure, closed mind.

Ok, glad to speak with you.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Sorry if caused discomfort by that question. Thank you for clarifying a point.)
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

Vega wrote:Sorry if caused discomfort by that question. Thank you for clarifying a point.)
Don't worry. You haven't caused any discomfort at all.
You're living so far from Catalonia that you cannot know all what happens here. It's normal.
I'd like to know things about your country, your way of life, culture, places to visit for foreigners, traditional meals and drinks... and politics too.
If you want we can exchange information and pictures about our countries. I'd like very much.
For example: do you want tell me something about your country's weather? Over there, on the banks of the Caspian Sea now, in winter, it's very cold, don't you?. Here, on the banks of the Mediterranean sea is very difficult to tread on the snow. To do it, we have to go to the Pyrenees mountains, about 120 kilometres far away. It's very rarely see snow in Barcelona's area. The climate here is very soft in winter and not much hot in summer. Although today the temperature is 7ºC. at 13:00 h. o'clock. That's very cold for us.
Well, I hope read you soon.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

ArnauEstanyol wrote:Don't worry. You haven't caused any discomfort at all.
You're living so far from Catalonia that you cannot know all what happens here. It's normal.
I'd like to know things about your country, your way of life, culture, places to visit for foreigners, traditional meals and drinks... and politics too.
If you want we can exchange information and pictures about our countries. I'd like very much.
For example: do you want tell me something about your country's weather? Over there, on the banks of the Caspian Sea now, in winter, it's very cold, don't you?. Here, on the banks of the Mediterranean sea is very difficult to tread on the snow. To do it, we have to go to the Pyrenees mountains, about 120 kilometres far away. It's very rarely see snow in Barcelona's area. The climate here is very soft in winter and not much hot in summer. Although today the temperature is 7ºC. at 13:00 h. o'clock. That's very cold for us.
Well, I hope read you soon.
You are probably the first man who wonders about my place of residence since I am here. :-)

The weather for December this year is rather warm - around 14 C for today and tomorrow according to a forecast. Last year there was snow everywhere in December. But I don't like snow. When it melts afterwards, the dirt are on the streets and roads..I live on a beach-side, 23 km away from city centre. In summer I go for fishing, swimming with my friend(-s). In cold seasons we meet rarely due to being busy..sometimes in bowling, 3D theatre or a cafe.

Economy:
After gaining independence in 1991, Azerbaijan became a member of the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the Islamic Development Bank and the Asian Development Bank. The banking system of Azerbaijan consists of the Central Bank of Azerbaijan, commercial banks and non-banking credit organizations. Azerbaijan is also ranked 57th in the Global Competitiveness Report for 2010–2011, which is above other CIS countries

Energy:
Two thirds of Azerbaijan is rich in oil and natural gas.The region of the Lesser Caucasus accounts for most of the country's gold, silver, iron, copper, titanium, chromium, manganese, cobalt, molybdenum, complex ore and antimony. In September 1994, a 30-year contract was signed between the State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR) and 13 oil companies, among them Amoco, BP, ExxonMobil, Lukoil and Statoil. As Western oil companies are able to tap deepwater oilfields untouched by the Soviet exploitation, Azerbaijan is considered one of the most important spots in the world for oil exploration and development. Meanwhile the State Oil Fund of Azerbaijan was established as an extra-budgetary fund to ensure the macroeconomic stability, transparency in the management of oil revenue, and the safeguarding of resources for future generations.

As to attractions, hotels, visa requirements, etc. : http://www.azerbaijan.com
Sorry for directing you to a website, I don't know much about its history, culture, etc.

Some images you can see in my profile:http://www.myenglishclub.com/photo/phot ... ceddt0ylth

Happy New Year!
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

Thanks so much Vega.

I've seen the pictures you have in your profile. Very interesting all of them, especially one related to the a book about mythology. I've had some years in my life I was very interested on ancient cultures and religions from a point of view of the simbological interpretation.
I have reached several conclusions that I could hardly summarize in few words: all cultures and religions have commune links. One common root or one common knowledge. Unfortunately a half of the human being fights against the other half to impose their wrong ideas. I say wrong ideas because everybody want interpret the simbology basing in own interests. A pity. The result of a doctrine where love is in it's root, cannot be the destruction of another human being, his culture or his belief. In this hidden knowledge the good :-D and the evil :evil: are two aspects of the same thing :shock: . It is very confusing. What is good for one person may be bad for another.
Well, it's very difficult and very long to express... The respect and help one another is the best way to reach better common goals.
That's what I've learned.
About your country, I see that worth visit it and spend a good vacations. {-:
Right now I've not pictures on my profile. I'll tell you when I upload them.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

ArnauEstanyol wrote:Thanks so much Vega.

I've seen the pictures you have in your profile. Very interesting all of them, especially one related to the a book about mythology. I've had some years in my life I was very interested on ancient cultures and religions from a point of view of the simbological interpretation.
I have reached several conclusions that I could hardly summarize in few words: all cultures and religions have commune links. One common root or one common knowledge. Unfortunately a half of the human being fights against the other half to impose their wrong ideas. I say wrong ideas because everybody want interpret the simbology basing in own interests. A pity. The result of a doctrine where love is in it's root, cannot be the destruction of another human being, his culture or his belief. In this hidden knowledge the good :-D and the evil :evil: are two aspects of the same thing :shock: . It is very confusing. What is good for one person may be bad for another.
Well, it's very difficult and very long to express... The respect and help one another is the best way to reach better common goals.
That's what I've learned.
About your country, I see that worth visit it and spend a good vacations. {-:
Right now I've not pictures on my profile. I'll tell you when I upload them.

Hello ArnauEstanyol,

Symbolism of myth is its crucial feature. For myth is very characteristic to change cause-effect relationship to precedent - the origin of the object is presented as its essence. This is called genetizm of myth.
In the myths of various peoples of the world - with their extraordinary diversity - a number of major themes and motifs.
The central group of myths, at least among the nations with developed mythological redundant system, are myths about the origin of the world, the universe (cosmogony myths) and human.

P.S.
Let me know when you will create a My EC profile. I would like to add you as friend. :-)
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

Hi Vega.

I understand the symbol as a synthesis of knowledge. A ancient knowledge lost in the mists of time. Myth, for me, is different. It's another issue. You can take some ancient symbol, as for example the rod, cane or stick. In all religions and cultures appears the stick:
Moses and his stick, the rock and the water, the Pharaoh had his "heqa" . What King doesn't grips his royal scepter?, the sorcerer's wand. In the North American Indian tribes the chief is always clutching his cane. This symbol is narrowly related with another sacred symbol: the snake. So we can find out through the many myth as the cane transforms in a snake: Moses transforms his rod into a snake. The Pharaoh carry up the "Uraeus" (a sacred snake) in his crown. The Buddhism and the "Kundalini", a snake of fire climbing up the sacred cane. Look the known symbol of Mercury, the Greek God: two snakes climbing up a cane.
It's difficult express things in a language that I don't know very well. I'm sorry. :-(
After those "coincidences", someone could ask himself: What do want to teach or show the symbols to us?.
Great question, no doubt.
I have an My EC profile. I'd like add you as a friend, but I don't know how do it.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

It could have been a good place to live but, not easy to find an honest and sincere friend(s). I guess, it's been like this even before only I have not known it yet. :~:
Enrish

Post by Enrish »

It depends what you are looking for. America is a huge country with different parts and people. I can go to one town where most of the population are homophobic or I can go to another part of the country where people are open minded.