can educational technology replace teachers?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

lichinTLC

can educational technology replace teachers?

Post by lichinTLC »

I appreciate views regarding this. Do you think that educational technology can replace teachers? Why and why not?
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: can educational technology replace teachers?

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

I don't think so. I think teachers are very important in the pupil education. Never can be replaced with a machine although the machine be the most perfect one. I think the machines cannot substitute the vital experience of an human.
lichinTLC

Post by lichinTLC »

Thanks ArnauEstanyol for your reply.
Yes, I agree with you to an extend that teachers are very important in the field of education in terms of their valued experiences but then again, what if teachers are not doing their jobs well? Can they be replaced and is there anyhow that educational technology can replace teachers if not for now but in the future?
annalouis

Post by annalouis »

In my opinion, Educational technology do not replace the teacher but it changes the role of the teacher in class. In traditional teaching, the teacher acts as a information provided to the students but with the help of educational technology, the task of the teacher in providing information is now taken over by technology making the teacher a facilitator in class instead; making sure that the information found by the students are correct and in line with what they need to study in class.
lichinTLC

Post by lichinTLC »

In my opinion, i think that educational technology cannot replace teachers entirely, but it is a good aid to help students. Students may find it interesting if they can do some self revision by using this technology, provided internet service is available always. Moreover, we are in 21st century, a modern era, doing homework in an exercise book is indeed a very dull method. If teachers could utilise this educational technology in giving homework, i think learners may find it interesting. This can initiate them to start. So, that will start the ball rolling. In addition, many students from urban area have an i-phone. They can log on to the internet and do their homework whenever and no matter where they are.

Nevertheless, i think this educational technology will only be useful for urban areas' students. Many students from rural area do not have a computer at home. However, Malaysia government has started to provide each family from rural areas with free laptop. Thus, i think that utilise educational technology in the classroom is a possible idea. Last but not least, teachers still play an essential role in educating students. Technology cannot replace teachers, but it will help teachers in educating future generation.

By Lily Woon
annalouis

Post by annalouis »

I do agree with Lily that technology is in no other way possible of replacing a teacher in class, but instead technology is a mighty tool that could be utilized by the teacher in making the lessons in class much much more interactive and interesting.

"Educational technology is the study and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using and managing appropriate technological processes and resources"- Wikipedia

Which means it is only a tool to help the teacher create a better teaching and learning atmosphere in class and at the same time allowing the students to perform better.
guichan

Post by guichan »

"Educational technology is the development, application and evaluation of systems, techniques and aids to improve the process of human learning" , (UNESCO)

In my opinion, I do not think that educational technology can replace teachers. However, by using the appropriate hardware along with suitable software, we can make the teaching-learning process more effective and efficient.

In fact, the growing use of educational technology has helped to release the teacher from the routine role of 'information giving'. Now teacher can actually devote more time and effort to the more important tasks of planning, arranging, and evaluating learning experiences and outcomes and of encouraging, enthusing, and guiding students with the help of teducational technology.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

There are often some bugs/ errors occur in computers and a man has to maintain (or fix) it periodically...These machines will never supersede a man "completely" whatever you do. It is similar to discovering "Perpetuum mobile".
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

I think all of you're right. According that, teachers cannot be replaced by machines, but the machines can be a good complement for teachers. A good tool for develop their work.
Can teachers be replaced by machines in the future?
Who knows?

In ancient times teachers gave to their pupils the knowledge into large gardens surrounded of birds, peace, trees, flowers and crystalline water sources, while they walked they enjoy the calm of Nature. The ancient knowledge said that human being has more than one brain. They said that exist into us the intellectual brain, the emotional brain, the sexual brain and the motor functions brain. When the master taught while they walked into a garden he showed to his pupils something more than cold intellectual data. It was also an emotional and physical experience.

Nowadays pupils are surrounded by cold walls and they receive intellectual information directly to their (intellectual) brains. Data and more data that many times they don't be able to understand deeply.
Because one thing is understand and another quite different is memorize.
Someone can memorize a thousand of data and in the same time don´t understand nothing at all.
Today machines can offer millions of data but machines don't know teach like a human teacher.

Can be the future worse?... :shock:

This is my opinion.
manal
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by manal »

hello every one,
in my opinion the sense of understanding and human exchange of feelings between students and teachers r very important in the processes of teaching and learning,as much the machine be useful,it can not replace the teacher perfectly,the human element should be there.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

Any educational technology can never replace a Human being, The summarized part of the answer to the question is that EVERY MACHINERY IS BUILT/DEVELOPED AND MANAGED BY HUMANS, and Only Human beings can fix the bugs and look after the PROS AND CONS of it. A machinery can never fix itself neither develop or built itself.