EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Let's learn together!

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, Dixie, EC

"Stop Doing List"

Postby behnam » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:07 pm

7 Things You Should Add to Your "Stop Doing List"

You probably make lists of things to do and follow them through. But what about the things you should stop doing? Successful people do not do the following things but chances are you still do. Make a decision to add these to your "stop doing list" these from today going forward:

1. Making Excuses. Successful people do not blame others or make excuses or complain about their bad luck. They take full responsibility for their lives. They know that success and failure lie in their hands. So stop being a victim, stop whining and stop making excuses.

2. Drifting. Winners have a plan. They have a direction and a purpose. They do not drift through life hoping for the best. They set goals and then set about achieving them. If you approach each day in a happy go lucky way then stop. Stop drifting and start planning. Develop a vision of a successful you. List what you have to do to get there. Plan your work then work your plan.

3. Sitting in Front of a Computer All Day (or worse still…a TV). Sure there are some important things you can do sitting at your screen but do not spend all day there. Get out and meet people, network, learn. Do things with the people you want to lead or help or do business with.

4. Putting Things Off. Procrastination is the enemy of success. Decide on your objective, list out the tasks you have to complete, prioritize them and then get on with the top ones. We all suffer the temptation to put off the jobs we fear or dislike. Bite the bullet. Eat the frog. Do the job.

5. Just the Easy Stuff. Which tasks do you spend most time on? The important, the urgent, the easy or the routine? If you spend most of your time on easy or less important tasks then stop. You should focus first on the most important jobs, the ones that will move you towards your strategic objective. You should delegate or ignore the low value activities.

6. Sitting in Ineffective Meetings. Do you waste time at work in low-value meetings? Most office workers do. Every meeting should have a clear purpose, an agenda and a skilled chairperson who keeps the meeting focused on delivering its objectives. Do not go to poor meetings just ask for a summary of agreed actions.

7. Limiting your Ambition. Successful people have enormous self-belief, drive and ambition. They hold themselves to high standards. Are you holding yourself back? Have you lost some of your self-belief and confidence? Start afresh. Set yourself ambitious goals. Remind yourself of your skills and achievements. Motivate yourself every day.

If you can eliminate the low value activities and the negative things you do then you will free yourself to succeed. Stop doing the things that you know are wasting your time and start building your success.

All the best,
Behnam, 4 June, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

6 Tips for Resolving Conflicts

Postby behnam » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:52 pm

6 Tips for Resolving Conflicts

Resolving conflicts whether in office, in friends community or at home is a challenge. The situation sometimes get worst when nobody shows the flexibility on his/her stance. The below tips might help when you have been assigned (Or you assign it to yourself) to resolve the conflict.

1-Be fair regardless of your relation with different parties. Sometimes your closed one can be wrong. Hence make up your mind to be transparent and fair throughout. Judge people fairly.

2-Empathetic Listening is very important. Listen to all parties carefully. Put yourself in their shoes to understand their stance.

3-Carefully analyze the statements from each party. List down the pros and cons of the stance from each party. Sometimes both parties are right and sometimes both are wrong. In your analysis you need to find the option which gives maximum benefit to everyone.

4-If the conflict is between two persons, consider a solution which neither party-A has proposed, neither B has Proposed but the third solution which suits both persons. Consider Win-Win scenario where everyone gains something at the cost of compromise.

5-If you want to give advice to a party (which you think is wrong), give it privately. Don't do counseling when both are present. This will offend one party and may strain the relations further. Remember not to criticise.

6-Sometimes youngsters are right and old ones are wrong. If the issue is not too serious, request youngsters to be flexible. It always pay off. Remember that we have learnt so much from our seniors (bosses, team leads, parents and other senior family members). So this is the time to pay back to make them feel proud about their teachings and to develop trust in relations.

Developing emotional intelligence is another approach to study people and understand them in depth. As per Wikipedia "Emotional intelligence (EI) is the ability to identify, assess, and control the emotions of oneself, of others, and of groups" Learn this technique to improve your mental powers. Google it.
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

Character Building Thoughts

Postby behnam » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:28 pm

Character Building Thoughts

1. How I look is not as important as how I act.
2. I treat others the way I want them to treat me.
3. I am a good sport; I follow the rules, take turns and play fair.
4. It is okay to laugh at funny things, but not to laugh at others.
5. I do not gossip; if I cannot say anything helpful, I do not say anything at all.
6. When I am sad, I help myself feel better by thinking of things that are good in my life.
7. In order to have friends, I must act in a kind way.
8. I believe that I am someone who can do important things.
9. What I say and how I say it tells others the kind of person I am.
10. I appreciate my family, my teachers, and my school.
11. I treat everyone with respect.
12. When I listen, I show others that I care about them.
13. I am being a good citizen when I volunteer to help others.
14. I think for myself and make smart choices that are good for me.
15. Each day offers a new start to do my best.
16. I try to understand what my friends are feeling.
17. Everyone makes mistakes, so instead of getting angry with myself, I try to do better.
18. I do not give up; I keep trying until I can do my work.
19. Sharing with others makes me feel good and makes them feel good too.
20. I work out my problems without hurting myself or others.
21. I am being polite when I wait for my turn and say please and thank you.
22. When I smile at people, they usually smile back.
23. I encourage my friends to do their best.
24. My values guide me to do what is right.
25. I am honest; I do not cheat or steal.
26. When I am angry, I use self-control and do not hurt others.
27. I am being creative when I draw, paint or write a poem or story.
28. I say, "No!" to things that could hurt my body like tobacco/cigarettes/alcohol.
29. When I do what I say I will do, I am being responsible.
30. I am grateful for what I have, so I share with others.
31. I try to learn something new each day.
32. When things do not go my way, I stop and think of what I can do to make them better.
33. I do not make fun of other children because I don't know what their life is like.
34. I feel successful when I do my best.
35. Everyone has good and bad feelings.
36. I take care of myself by eating healthy food, exercising and getting enough rest.
37. I am being punctual when I am on time and do not keep people waiting.
38. When I cooperate with others, I get more done.
39. I follow the rules and try to make my school a better place.
40. I like to get to know children who are different from me.
41. Since I tell the truth, my friends trust me.
42. I look for what is good in others and I say what I like about them.
43. I buy only what I need and I save my money.
44. When I use my time wisely, there is usually enough time to do what I want to do.
45. I think before I act; how I act affects how others treat me.
46. Using manners helps me keep my friends.
47. I have courage to stand up for children who are teased.
48. Before I do something, I ask myself, "Is it safe?"
49. I am me -- I do not try to be like someone else.
50. I care about living things on earth so I recycle and do not litter.
51. When I write down what I think and feel, I learn about myself.
52. I plan ahead and think about what I want to do when I grow up.

All the best,
Behnam, 13 June, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

Re: Let's learn together!

Postby Mohsen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Behnam,

How are you my friend , hope you are fine and enjoy your life . How are the towins. In fact I was in travel for two weeks,also I feel so lazy these day,whenever I want to open the website or somthing to read ,I go to sleep right away. I don't know why maybe because I am extrimist in eating of seasonal furits. the melons in different shapes ,cheery and apricat. I think it makes a probelm in my body. it causes that the precent of urea exceed the normal ,so I go to sleep more than normal. I tried don't go to sleep to see the football much two nights ago , the Iran - Nigeria soccer, so I took the TV to the yard and sitting beside the gurden and put a baskect of furits in front of myself . I ate as much as I could to avoid sleeping , and finally I suceeded to watch the game completely.

I haven't any practise in English ,so I think it is difficult for me to write.

good bye
Mohsen
Mohsen
Gold Member

Location: No.7,Charso lane,walk down,You’ll arrive to the garden of sense,Naghejahan square,Esfahan,Iran

Nice to see you here Mohsen!

Postby behnam » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi Mohsen,

How are you? How is everything with you? I hope all is going well and you are enjoying every second of your life. My kids and wife are well. Thank you very much for your care.

Next week, on Wednesday, I have an important exam. Actually, it is important to pass the course successfully with full mark. I am the only student! Can you imagine a situation in which you are alone and you sit for an exam? It is really uninterested. You know why? Well, you cannot prove yourself. Nobody is there to be compared with. It is like a competition with no rival! The level of motivation is low!

Fruits aren't bad for our health, are they? However, manage what you eat.

I am not interested in football. I have no time for lying in front of TV!

All the best,
Behnam, 19 June, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

Postby Mohsen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi Behnam,

I hope you get the best mark in your exam , you are seroius in reaching to your goal ,so you don't need anyone to compete beside you. also your are not a child or a school student ,you don't need to defeat others to prove yourself and to be praised.

I like football and other sports ,because I used to play them ,but now I try not to watch football ,because I think it wastes my time . It is like a person who addict to smok ,althought he knows it is harmful for his health ,but he is not able to avoid it.

have a good time
Mohsen
Mohsen
Gold Member

Location: No.7,Charso lane,walk down,You’ll arrive to the garden of sense,Naghejahan square,Esfahan,Iran

Motivation is important!

Postby behnam » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi again Mohsen,

Thank you very much for the early reply.

Motivation is essentially important when it comes to what human beings do! What does motivate us to act or react? I am not in the mood for philosophical discussion, but, it is necessary to be noticed that positive competition motivates us to do our best and to work hard. I cannot prove myself! Yes, that's true. The exam isn't interesting at all! Suppose, I got 15 out of 20! How could I prove my hard work? How could I say to the professor that the exam was unusual, hard, difficult, etc.? If there were someone else, comparison was possible. I am studying and working hard, even beyond what the professor has taught. I am ready for exam, and I will make the professor amazed. However, the positive effects of having a rival cannot be denied.

About football, enjoy it. If something helps you relax; and it isn't against rules of course, do it! I used to watch football, but at that time, players were fair and worth supporting. These days, there is no point in supporting some silly men with strange styles of hair and a lot of tattoos...! So disgusting!

Things have changed! Football is good for rich countries(with rich people). It should be mentioned that there are many rich countries in the world, but a few of them have rich people. Football is not good for a country with a wide gulf between the rich and the poor!

All the best,
Behnam, 19 June, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

Husband's Note for his Wife

Postby behnam » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Mohsen, we are talking about football. It is convenient to say some nice things related to football! {-: {-: {-:

A husband wrote to his wife: The FIFA World Cup is close by. Let me give you a few rules that will preserve your beauty.

1. The remote control belongs to me for the whole month.

2. Tell all your friends not to give birth or wed or die or whatever during the World Cup because we won't go.

3. No talking during the game, wait for half-time or end of the game.

4. Repeats & highlights are as good as the main match, so I am going to watch them too.

5. We can watch STAR PLUS provided actors and actresses are wearing soccer jerseys and they are in Brazil.

6. You don't just pass in front of the TV if am watching soccer, you better crawl on the floor.

7. Make sure you don't ask silly questions such as; is this Chelsea versus England?

8. No funny faces to my friends when they come for soccer.

9. There shall be no comments about Cristiano Ronaldo's looks. Professionalism shall remain an absolute part of the WC.

10. If you miss the line up please don't ask, 'Who's that guy?'

11. Ronaldo the Brazilian and Ronaldo the Portuguese are not related, India and Pakistan did not qualify, so please no stupid questions.

Thank you

All the best,
Behnam, 19 June, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

Postby setayesh » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

How are you all? I hope all is well with you

I've just written a long text here but I forgot to save it.what happened ??? :?: I lost the whole text before submitting it! :evil: }:

I'll rewrite it another time again

happy being here again.
Seti
setayesh

10 Things that You Can Control in Your Life

Postby behnam » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:53 pm

10 Things that You Can Control in Your Life

We humans spend much of our time trying to control every aspect of our lives.
Unfortunately, too often we try and control things that are simply beyond our control.
The list of what we can control is quite short, but once you know these 10 things you will be able to take control of your own life.

1. What you do: Your actions are yours alone.
You choose to make them or not make them and you are responsible for the effects of those actions.

2. What you say: Likewise, the words you speak (or write) are also consciously chosen. Like actions, they have an impact on your life and the lives of those you contact.

3. What you think: Yes, there are some subconscious thoughts that you can't control. But the things that you really think about, your beliefs, your ideals, etc. are concepts you have chosen to accept and believe in.

4. Your work: Many people like to overlook this one, it being much easier to say, "Oh, I'm! trapped in my job because I don't have a degree, experience, etc." That's simple a way of denying one's responsibility in having chosen the job in the first place. It's your job and you chose it. If you stay (or go), that's a choice as well.

5. The people you associate with: There's a famous T-shirt that states: "It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys."
Colloquial is very often correct! Your friends can either lift you up or bring you down. You make the decision which type of friends you wish to have.

6. Your basic physical health: Much about our health is a factor of genetics, environment, and exposure. Much more of our health is simply a matter of the decisions we make about our health, such as: diet, exercise, drugs, sleep, routine physicals, check-ups, etc.

7. The environment you live in: Your house, the condition of your home, the town you live in, the amenities available to you are all things you can control, although some to a lesser degree (i.e., you decide to tolerate them or move someplace else).

8. Your fiscal situation: Having or not having enough money is a factor of what you make versus what you spend.

9. Your time: You choose how to "spend" your time and how much of your time to give to various activities. You'll never get more time than the 24 hours your given each day.

10. Your legacy: All your actions, words, and knowledge that you share while you are living become the gift that you leave when you are gone.

All the best,
Behnam, 21 June, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion