EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Let's learn together!

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, Dixie, EC

Re: Let's learn together!

Postby Espardo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 pm

The incident is tragic. Kill the innocent just to prove a point. This makes freedom a double edged sword. It has its positive and negative effect on our society. Not just in America.
What Happened Today In History - What historical events happened on this day in history?
Espardo

Postby behnam » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Espardo,

Many thanks for your comment. Thank you for joining us.

You are right, but late! Sorry, let me be rude enough to say that you are late my dear friend! Wisdom is knowing before experiencing! At least guessing before experiencing!

When we were criticizing about the unlimited(apparently unlimited) freedom in the West and its disadvantages, some people used to call us retro, undeveloped or things like that. Human beings are social creatures, so absolute freedom sounds ridiculous. An individual can be free as long as their freedom doesn't threaten my freedom. However, we are selfish. What can control my selfishness, greed and ambitiousness? You may say, 'laws', but who makes laws? People, yes, but what will happen if some selfish people make laws? This is one of the main drawbacks of the unrestricted(absolute) freedom.

I called it 'absolute freedom', but fact is something else. As a matter of fact, there is no freedom in the West? How? Well, when some singers, actors, actresses, fashion designers, football players, companies etc. keep telling us: This is what you like. This is what you must be like. This is what you look for. This is where you should go. This is what you should do. This is what you should wear, eat, ..." only brainwashed people believe that they are free! Nobody is free when thousands TV channels are continuously bombarding people with signals(forcing people to do in accordance with what is showed)! In fact, satellite TV channels make decision about our lives! When we are not allowed to think, without being biased towards something, it is slavery in a modern shape, not freedom!

That's absolutely right my dear friend, 'freedom is a two-edged sword', but I am sorry to say that 'you are late'! Many years ago, when we were warning the West over those disadvantages of materialist philosophy, some people used to laugh at us and call us black-haired, retro, unimproved, narrow-minded and things sort that! Wisdom is prevention from a tragedy, taking guess about the probable rain by looking at the cloudy sky and then taking umbrella! After getting wet under the rain, although looking for an umbrella sounds reasonable and logical, it is late!

What is the solution then? I have no time to write about the solution now. I have to leave. But, to say briefly, I believe, what human beings need for a good life(good life is moving towards perfection) is said by God(the creator of the entire universe) in the Holy books. The path is shown clearly and brightly. We have to practically follow God's instructions if we want a good life with good results. Otherwise, we will lose!

All the best,
Behnam, 16 December, 2012

ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

Postby Elham » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi dear Behnam,

Hope your studies are going well. One of the most enjoyable things in the life is to understand and learn, when it comes to learning Physics the sweetness doubles. :-D Enjoy it dear. :-)

Thanks for your rich post above. I loved it. You have beautifully explained some delicate issues:

Human beings are social creatures, so absolute freedom sounds ridiculous. An individual can be free as long as their freedom doesn't threaten my freedom. However, we are selfish. What can control my selfishness, greed and ambitiousness? You may say, 'laws', but who makes laws? People, yes, but what will happen if some selfish people make laws? This is one of the main drawbacks of the unrestricted(absolute) freedom.

You are absolutely right. It's not a very difficult thing to understand, I wonder how some people ignore this point and want absolute freedom and claim it's their own right!!!

Wish you the best,
Elham
Elham
Gold Member

Postby [amal] » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi Noure,

How are you?

Thanks for joining us, you are welcome!

Please would you tell us more about yourself? Are you an Arab? Emm, your name seems so! By the way, you have a nice name, I love it!

I hope to hear more about your country and the famous things in it...

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best wishes and hope you pass your exam successfully.

Amal
[amal]
Gold Member

Hey, remember Kami?

Postby Kamelia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Everyone,

kami again!...(uh man? why doesn't she just get to work with it? Does she really have to come and let go and then do it all over again?) LOL

A big hi to all the friends here, especially to my dearest, most wise Ostad ever, Behnam! (ke emailasham javab nemide :D)

Since tonight would be a lovely one for Iranians, and I had missed my lovely friends here a lot, so I made time to both send warm regards and say a Happy Yalda to you all.

Wish you all merry times,

Kamelia
Kamelia
Silver Member

Postby behnam » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi friends,

Today is the last day of the autumn. It is the shortest day of the year, so tonight is the longest one in the year (Simple mathematics is used here, since 'Daytime+Nighttime=24'! When the first one comes down, the second one must go up! Hehehehehehe... :lol: )

Iranian people call the last night of fall 'Yalda Night'! They usually sit around, eat dry nuts and fruits(To speak precisely, it is better to say 'they used to sit around and... These days mobile phones and computers don't leave free time for people to sit around together!'). {-:

You can notice that 'Yalda Night' is celebrated in some countries around Iran such as Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, etc. too. Well, in the past those countries used to belong to Iran. This means that 'Yalda Night' is an ancient traditional ceremony.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say a very warm 'Happy Yalda Night' to all Persian people! I wish you happy moments with your families. The weather is cold(the mountains and the shades are covered with snow in this part of Tehran), but I wish you warmness and long life.

I'd like to mention to a very nice saying in Farsi which is related to the last day of autumn. When some people make promise, or speak proudly about their plans and great success in the future, or when they are happy and satisfied with their short-term success, people often say 'chicks must be counted in the end of autumn'! It is maybe a little bit similar to 'don't count your chickens before they're hatched'! I am not sure! :lol:

Anyway, I hope today you have counted your chickens and have found out that you've got many of them; none of them is eaten by fox, none of them is killed by other enemies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Finally, I'd like to say a warm 'Hello' to my dearest old friend Kami! How are you Kamelia? I hope you are happy and healthy. Thank you very much for visiting this site on such a lovely day. Happy 'Yalda Night' to you and to your family. You made me happy with your post! Thank you very much indeed. Kami is always in my thoughts!

I am sharing emails with all friends. Don't you receive emails from me? Come on! Stop kidding! LOL

Oh, something has been forgotten yet! Today(tonight in fact, according to what my mother says! "It was 'Yalda Night' and the weather was cold. People were together, but I was in a hospital to give birth to Behnam, and I did it!", my mother often says! LOL...) is my birthday. Happy Birthday Behnam! :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAPPY 'YALDA NIGHT'!

All the best,
Behnam, 20 December, 2012

ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

Postby Elham » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi friends,

Happy Yalda night to all, wish you happiness and enjoyable time tonight!

Dear Behnam,
Happy Birthday, hope you're enjoying this beautiful night beside your lovely family*

Hi dear Kami,

Thanks for your friendly post,
Wish you success and happiness,

All the best
Elham
Elham
Gold Member

Postby [amal] » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Ohhh!! Happy birthday my dear and best friend Behnam, wishing you a day filled with happiness and a year filled with joy! May your dreams come true...

I wanted to surprise you and be the first one who say " Happy Birthday" to you since I never ever forget this occasion but it seems that I am too late. :-(

Be sure that you are always in my thoughts and my heart in every minutes and every second, I am completely lost without you. }:

Wish you the best,
Amal
[amal]
Gold Member

♥♪♥♥♪♥ Happy Yalda Night♥♪♥♥♪♥

Postby Mohsen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi Friends

Congratulations on Yalda night,This is longest night Iranian solar year. Yalda Night as called in the Persian solar calendar is a night with especial ceremonies. Families get together on Yalda Night at the home of the elders until after midnight. They are served with dried fruits, nuts, and fruits like pomegranates and watermelons. I had to come back home from my father in law-house because of my terrible stomachache .. :lol: :lol:

Mohsen
Mohsen
Gold Member

Location: No.7,Charso lane,walk down,You’ll arrive to the garden of sense,Naghejahan square,Esfahan,Iran

Postby Mohsen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Dear Behnam,

Happy birthday to you.

Wish you ,your wife and childern the best.

Mohsen
Mohsen
Gold Member

Location: No.7,Charso lane,walk down,You’ll arrive to the garden of sense,Naghejahan square,Esfahan,Iran

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion