EFL and ESL

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

sidan

EFL and ESL

Post by sidan »

Hi, everyone

Is EFL and ESL different in terms of their principles? I'm not sure of a lecturer saying that they are the same. If we use English as a foreign language, can we refer to principle of ESL? This confused me. :~: I'd like to refer the theory for my research. Please feel free to share the idea. Thanks.

Regards,
Sidan
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: EFL and ESL

Post by Joe »

The following is on the EnglishClub homepage:

ESL or EFL? What do ESL and EFL mean? ESL stands for English as a Second Language. EFL stands for English as a Foreign Language. ESL is used when people learn English in an English speaking country. EFL is used when people learn English in a non-English speaking country. Is this important? Not very, if you are a student. But there are some important technical considerations for teachers.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
sidan

Re: EFL and ESL

Post by sidan »

Hi, everyone

As people in my area live in non-English speaking country, they learn English as a foreign language. And I've known about this. What I'd like to know is in terms of their principles. I am going to do research for my students and it is needed referring to the theory. That's why I'd like to know if they are different in terms of their principle. Once a trainer from an English training course said that it is the same but I am not sure of his saying. That is why I'd like to know some more from the trusted sources. If EFL is the same as EFL, I can refer to ESL principle. That's all.

Thank you,
sidan