what "drive-through" means here

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

applellmmhh

what "drive-through" means here

Post by applellmmhh »

Re: Will, our son, sat by the window and for most of our meal he watched the gondolas pass by and talked to the gondoleers and their passangers. As we were eating dessert, a gondoleer pulled up to the building and was eye-to-eye with Will. The owner of the restaurant noticed and called Will over to the bar. He gave Will a beer to deliver to the gondoleer. Will delivered the beer and since has been telling everyone that drive-through in Italy is “way cooler” than drive through in Canada.

Can anyone tell me what "drive-through" means here? Should the word "a" be added before "drive-through"?
Thank you very much.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: what "drive-through" means here

Post by Joe »

A drive-through (drive-thru) is a service where you can drive your car up to a window and get served without leaving your car. For example, MacDonalds have many "drive-thru" restaurants.

It's ok in your sentence without "a" because it refers to the whole idea of concept of drive-though in Canada, not a specific one.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
applellmmhh

Post by applellmmhh »

hello. I wonder why "drive-through" is used in the context. "drive-through in Italy is better than that in Canada". It seems a metaphor. What does it refer to? Why does the speaker say "drive-through in Italy is better than that in Canada"?
Thank you very much.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

applellmmhh wrote:hello. I wonder why "drive-through" is used in the context. "drive-through in Italy is better than that in Canada". It seems a metaphor. What does it refer to? Why does the speaker say "drive-through in Italy is better than that in Canada"?
Thank you very much.
If I have the actual chance to see drive-through in Italy then only I could compare that from Canada. ;-) :geek:
esl member since 2007