Traditional holiday of various countries

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Herenkim

Traditional holiday of various countries

Post by Herenkim »

Hello. My name is heren and I'm from Korea!
4 days ago, Korea has big holiday that name is 'Chuseok'. You can easily understand it when you consider Chuseok as a Korean thanks-giving day. We prepare various foods for our ancestor and perform ancestral rites at morning. After this rites, we visit our family member's graves to pray for the repose of our ancestor's soul and for our generation's welfare.
How about your country? What is your country's traditional holiday? and is there any special features?
I really wonder about that.
Please reply on my question.
Thank U :-)
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Traditional holiday of various countries

Post by Krisi »

That holiday of your country called, Chuseok, is much the same as our holiday here which is observed every Nov. 1 and Nov. 2 of each year. These are known or named as All Saints day (Nov 1) and All Souls day (Nov 2). The practice is just similar where we prepare special foods to welcome relatives who are coming to our place to celebrate the special dates/events for (with) our deceased relatives. Together, we hear and offer a special mass for the dead at the church, then after, visit the cemetery where the remains of our deceased relatives are buried.
--We celebrate many holidays here in our country. There are the so called non-working public holidays where the holiday celebration is observed and respected by everybody nationwide and a working (maybe semi-) public holidays celebrated by a few which is mostly observed and remembered in schools, offices and to some groups each district or area.
esl member since 2007