Over the Counter" and not "On the counter"

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

MrNano

Over the Counter" and not "On the counter"

Post by MrNano »

Why it is called "Over the Counter" and not "On the counter"
What is the difference.
Can you explain in details pls.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Over the Counter" and not "On the counter"

Post by Krisi »

both are correct only the use of those phrases would depend on how they are used in a given statement or sentences.
I find this true for the above given phrases, in most cases I just picture in mind if there is a movement or none. This is just how I observed this. I use "over the counter" if I can see movement on the statement and either "on the counter" or sometimes, "at the counter" if none. Having in mind that "on" is a preposition used for place and time and "at" also a preposition for place and time, "at" (for me) expresses the appearance of something or someone at a particular place.
Example:
  • 1. Most medicines are available over the counter only with doctor's prescription. (I can imagine movement here. transfer from one end to another)
  • 2. Your handkerchief is on the counter. (there is direct proximity of the object to the counter, there is no movement and just descriptive)
  • 3. The foods you ordered is now at the counter. (appearance of a newly served food at the counter top.)
This is just my own way of seeing the differences in my mind. I hope it helps. :-)

For more please check the ESL link for learners.
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/prepositions.htm
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Over the Counter" and not "On the counter"

Post by behnam »

MrNano wrote:Why it is called "Over the Counter" and not "On the counter"
What is the difference.
Can you explain in details pls
Hi MrNano,

Thanks for the question. I suppose there is a confusion. As far as I know, correct to say 'on the counter' is correct if you mean the preposition which goes with 'counter'. As you know, counter is long flat surface. It is correct to say behind/at/on/across(a or the) +Counter.

1) I asked the woman behind the counter if they had any postcards.
2) All the goods on the counter are for sale.
3) He pushed the money across the counter to her.

However, 'over-the-counter' is an adjective. Let's look at its google definition! Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs are medicines sold directly to a consumer without a prescription, from a healthcare professional, as compared to prescription drugs, which may be sold only to consumers possessing a valid prescription.

Finally, in another view, both 'over the counter' and 'under the counter' are idioms.

'Over the counter' means goods, especially medicines, for sale over the counter can be bought without a prescription (= written permission from a doctor to buy a medicine) or special license.

'Under the counter' means goods that are bought or sold under the counter are sold secretly and sometimes illegally.

For your purpose of using, I guess 'on the counter' is correct. In this case, 'on' plays the role of preposition. 'Under' and 'over' In those two idioms aren't prepositions. Those are like this: Over-the-counter, under-the-counter!

I hope it helps.

I didn't intend to answer to your question, because I am a learner myself. In fact, the love of Krisi caused me to put something as a piece of answer. :lol:

I invite you to 'Let's Learn Together!'. I hope to see you there.

All the best,
Behnam, 30 October, 2015
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Preposition

Post by Krisi »

For more please check the ESL link for learners.
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/prepositions.htm

Download your Prepositions List with 370 sample sentences / 200 quiz questions. Just check the ESL link above for details.