EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

New-entry from Italy - hi!

Welcome to EC! Meet other EC members, find penpals

Moderators: Dixie, EC

Postby andrea » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:14 pm

Hello

I have just entered and would like to exchange ideas and opinions about anything is linked with English language, cultures and traditions.

I am Italian and teach English to 11-14 - yo - students in a school near Florence.

Andrea
andrea

Postby _Arale_ » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:28 pm

hello andrea,
Glad to see you here.I will become an English teacher next time.I hope we can change some teaching meathods here.
Have fun with the forum !:)

_Arale_
_Arale_

Postby Dixie » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:35 pm

Hey, English teachers! hehe

Hello Andrea, welcome to the club! Like Arale just said, we'd love to get to know you and exchange some teaching ideas. Welcome!
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby _Arale_ » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:55 pm

Hey, English teachers! hehe

Hello Andrea, welcome to the club! Like Arale just said, we'd love to get to know you and exchange some teaching ideas. Welcome!

Dixie,great!!! :wink:
Do you often use music to improve listening skill ?Students like music much but in my town, using music is still rare. I'd like this method ! :(

_Arale_
_Arale_

Postby Dixie » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:56 pm

Students love music, and I think it's a pretty good teaching resource. Pick a song you know they like, and their interest will increase! :D
Dixie

New-entry from Italy - Hi!

Postby andrea » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:04 pm

Hi Dixie and Arale! :)

Well, i like to use music in my lessons, but i have found it a bit exhausting up to now. I have often had to cope with something which didn't work, and it's even difficult to find something whic could completely satisfy the class.

But i sometimes try with music, yeah.

thanks for your welcome! :D

Andrea
andrea

Postby Dixie » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:09 pm

... And you're welcome! :D
Dixie

Postby greatJim » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:42 am

I often listen music,But i don't think it will do help for English.Music is an background.
I am a student. :lol: :lol:
greatJim
Platinum Member

Postby Dixie » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:32 am

GreatJim, music is really useful in order to teach a foreign language. Students are more open to songs than to theory. They learn more rapidly with songs, since it's much easier to study something (grammatical structure, for instance) if you sing it. Image
Dixie

Postby andrea » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:43 am

Hi Dixie abd GreatJim :)

i think you're both right.

Music can be useful to learn English - in it you can analyze several grammar structures, enrich your vocabulary, learn about common or particular phrases. I find out it is useful especially thanks to the rhythm, and rhyme, as in poetry.

i must also admit that you can not make music as a starting point to learn (and to teach) English, at school.
Our duty is to teach the language starting from a standard basis (as we do for italian), helped by specialized text-books.

If we keep faithful to this reference point, then we can add examples taken from several sources such as everyday life, press, poetry, music.

The fact is everything is useful to learn a language. I depends on what you consider as the best way.
In my opinion (led to it through experience as an ESFL) is to overcome a certain shyness, a psychological difficulty, when someone has to speak a language that is not his/her mother tongue.

Andrea
andrea

Next

Return to Welcome Forum