EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

New-entry from Italy - hi!

Welcome to EC! Meet other EC members, find penpals

Moderators: Dixie, EC

Postby serenella » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:01 pm

Arale, I agree with you.
Teaching a language means teaching to communicate, so group-work is very helpful, even if it causes noise in the classroom.
Anyway, I have found some classes which were strictly organized according to quitness, I mean each student was matched in his/her desk with another student he/she didn't like or who was very different in behaviour, opinion, etc. In such a way teachers prevented them from talking during the lesson, but proposing pair/group work was impossible without changing the whole layout of the class and a lesson time is too short for organizing couples and moving seats.
serenella
Gold Member

Postby Butler » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:41 pm

I use music a lot to help students listen and understand, I remove certain words from the lyrics of a song and they have to write them back in while listening to the song. Good fun and I use short songs (3 minutes).
Butler
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Asep » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:46 pm

Same method as one my E teachers applied when I was still at college and took an E class two years ago.
Asep
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:23 pm

Butler wrote:I use music a lot to help students listen and understand, I remove certain words from the lyrics of a song and they have to write them back in while listening to the song. Good fun and I use short songs (3 minutes).

I use exactly the same method. Maybe we could share some song titles and the grammar used in there :P
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Asep » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:32 am

My teacher played "Creep" by Radiohead, "Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins, and many more.
Asep
Gold Member

Postby Butler » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:16 am

I always use (don't laugh) dream a little dream by Mama Cass, short song and easy to understand her. I also use sometimes a song that nobody knows so they get to hear something fresh and have no chance of remembering the lyrics, I use it only for some of the advanced students.
Butler
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:36 pm

Asep wrote:My teacher played "Creep" by Radiohead, "Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins, and many more.

Wow I got that one, Another Day in Paradise. I was just listening to it a while ago on my way back home. So your teacher used it in your class? That's interesting :roll: Kind of a sad song though :D
Dixie

Postby Asep » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:45 am

Yeah, and guess what! This could've been the very first song I heard of Phil Collins. I like his "You'll Be in My Heart", too, Dixie. :) This song can never fail to remind me of someone out there.... :wink:

Here's a pic of this bald man. Hehe....

Asep
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:13 am

You'll Be in My Heart, that song makes me cry!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: It's so beautiful. :roll:
Dixie

Postby Asep » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 am

And romantic as well. :roll:
Asep
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Forum