EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

STEREOTYPES

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderators: Vega, EC

STEREOTYPES

Postby Francisca » Sun May 25, 2003 6:59 pm

The most dangerous stereotypes for human beings is thinking that we are better than others. I think that we must not underestimate the ability, personality and attitudes of anyone. I believe in equality of opportunities because all human beings are born equal.
Nevertheless, I think that Intolerance is another dangerous stereotype for human beings. The lack of tolerance is in a way to think that we are better than others.
Intolerance is responsible for adopting authority and condemning human behaviour.
When we are intolerant, we deny the existence of religion, culture or ethnics minorities. This stereotype does not deny the existence of others, however it minimizes, degrades and humiliates others, and all this makes people feel excluded or discriminated against.
WHAT DO U THINK ABOUT IT? WHAT IS THE WORST STEREOTYPE IN THE WORLD?
I want to know people learning english like me...I want to share some mistakes that I have on that Language and learn about others
Francisca

Postby Lilian » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:41 pm

science doesnt believe in religion so, do u think its kinda steriotype?
English is my second language
Lilian
Gold Member

Postby ayie » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:50 pm

I believe that the worst stereotyping would be that of the race... especially to us (others who are also in this forum) Filipinos. Many negatives have been said about us in the past and even to this day. The word FILIPINA even came out of one of the English dictionaries as pertaining to domestic helpers. Imagine that being published to the world... That isn't even close to what a Filipina really is... but yes, some work as domestic helpers but not entirely. A Filipina is basically a female native of the Philippines and a lot more...
ayie
Gold Member

Postby francine » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:07 pm

ayie wrote:I believe that the worst stereotyping would be that of the race... especially to us (others who are also in this forum) Filipinos. Many negatives have been said about us in the past and even to this day. The word FILIPINA even came out of one of the English dictionaries as pertaining to domestic helpers. Imagine that being published to the world... That isn't even close to what a Filipina really is... but yes, some work as domestic helpers but not entirely. A Filipina is basically a female native of the Philippines and a lot more...

yup! TOTALLY agree with you ayie!!! so unfair of them!!!
pulling others down! so what do they think of themselves?!?! feeling superior and everything!!! grrr.... that's what we call racial discrimation. one more thing... they are being welcomed here whole heartedly while some of 'em treated our fellow citizens like 'they are nothing but moron'. so, what are they?!?! huh?!?! huh?!?! huhu?!?!?
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
francine
Platinum Member

Postby Dixie » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:38 pm

Yeah, the same happens to Catalan people. Spaniards have always looked down on us just because we have our own history, language, culture and so on. Can you imagine? We've been a part of Spain for 290 years now and they still cannot understand the fact that we don't have Spanish as a natural language, bull-fighting as a part of our culture (poor animals), Cervantes as our most representative writer, and so on.

That's why they always refer to Catalans as "polacos" (Polish). And the most astoshing is that the COLLINS DICTIONARY defines "Polaco" as "Catalan". Can you believe it??????
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby francine » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:33 pm

Dixie wrote:Yeah, the same happens to Catalan people. Spaniards have always looked down on us just because we have our own history, language, culture and so on. Can you imagine? We've been a part of Spain for 290 years now and they still cannot understand the fact that we don't have Spanish as a natural language, bull-fighting as a part of our culture (poor animals), Cervantes as our most representative writer, and so on.

That's why they always refer to Catalans as "polacos" (Polish). And the most astoshing is that the COLLINS DICTIONARY defines "Polaco" as "Catalan". Can you believe it??????

duh?!?! can't say anything to them but... duh?!?!? :!: :!: :!:
francine
Platinum Member

Postby ayie » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:17 pm

Dixie wrote:Yeah, the same happens to Catalan people. Spaniards have always looked down on us just because we have our own history, language, culture and so on. Can you imagine? We've been a part of Spain for 290 years now and they still cannot understand the fact that we don't have Spanish as a natural language, bull-fighting as a part of our culture (poor animals), Cervantes as our most representative writer, and so on.

Yeah! I can definitely relate to that stereotype... Foolish people don't know about individuality sometimes... and equality for all races... but... well... we know what we are worth and i know that each one in this forum is SPECIAL... :mrgreen:
ayie
Gold Member

Postby pinas » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:20 pm

you got it right ayie...but why do they need to do that...it may hurt us in a way or another it may affect as in a way as well...like me, i'm planning to go to europe or to the US but they might look down on me..all i must show them are the skills and talents i possess...(well, if i do have those) :lol:
dalagang pilipina - a cool chick that is
pinas
Gold Member

Postby francine » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:40 pm

well, you could/ should also show them your killer looks pinas!!! hehehe..... besides, your very brainy.... :ro :roll: :roll: ll:
francine
Platinum Member

Postby ayie » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:42 pm

Yup! I actually have an Engineer friend who went to UK (not ukay-ukay ha...) to work. He had the skills... believe me... he's been with big comapnies here in the Philippines. But he got rejected for every single position that he applied for right after he was asked about his nationality.
He came back to get married but i don't know where he is now...
ayie
Gold Member

Next

Return to Creative Writing