Humor is a kind of gift

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

RedRose

Humor is a kind of gift

Post by RedRose »

In the world, some people are interesting and humorous, and the others are dull and uninteresting. Certainly, I like the first kind of people.humorous people are admirable and charming,and they are always strong enough to face diverse miseries and stresses, and they often can bring us strength and courage.

I always think, in all human natures , some natures are born, such as humor. My grandpa was a farmer, and he had never had any school education, but he had a pretty good sense of humor. my mom once told me a thing about grandpa.

In 1948, one night my grandpa went out for loading water, he demanded my mom to take a light following him so that he could see the road clearly( my grandpa had a bad eyesight), then my mom was only 6 years old. when they got to the top of a hill, they found many corpses of soldiers lying on the ground( that was during Chinese inner war,armies often fought there , and many soldiers died from the war.) my mom asked:" dad, what's this?" my grandpa answered:" babe, they are sleeping!" then my grandpa removed those corpses to the two sides so that they could walk on, when they went across those corpses, grandpa put down his water and removed those corpses to the previous positions of them. my mom asked:"why did you remove them again?" my grandpa said: " I worry they will get upset after they awake! just as I don't want anyone to change my bed when I fall into sleep!" after they got home, grandpa told my mom the truth, mom got scared and screamed:"they are dead people?! that means they are ghosts! why did you remove ghosts?! if they jump..." grandpa smiled:"babe, if they jump to their feed, I shall kick and beat them! but they can't."

I recall, as a kid, I once told mom that I was so afraid of ghosts, mom said:" shut up! no ghosts! no spook! if there were ghosts and spook, just kick them out and beat them!" I guess she got the great courage from my grandpa.

a few years ago my grandpa died. He lived to the age of 98. In his life, he suffered a lot of miseries and stresses, but he never dreaded them. I remember that he always told us jokes one by one.

one month before he had died, I took car to his house to visit him. then he lay on his bed and looked very weak and strengthless. staring on him, I felt very sad and sorrowful, and I was in tears, grandpa still smile and said: "kid, don't cry! whether I go to the heaven or to the hell, it is great! I heard that there are many beautiful women in the hell or the heaven, however, it is exciting to meet pretty women!"

He went across all his life with smile! He was so cool!
hope4422

Post by hope4422 »

your grandpa was a great person
and you are right humor are gift
I hope I met your grandpa
but we shall learn from him a great deal

thank you for telling us this also i think laughter and joking is the most helpful solution for those who live in mistry
hope is life
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I wish I could meet my grandpa as well. but I could no longer meet on my alive years.

anyway, I am glad that you think that laughter is useful. and I hope that you will feel happier in the future.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Rose, I loved your story.
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by serenella »

A very meaningful story, Rose!
Too often we forget that humor could help us to live better!
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

it's so inspiring rose... thanks.... love your story.. :D :wink:
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

thanks guys, glad to know you guys love my story. :lol: