DIESEL

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

DIESEL

Post by Vega »

Hi everybody!

I have decided to write an essay about things that are more interesting to me. In this essay, I will tell you about the diesel engine. I'm sure many of you have heard about a diesel engine, but perhaps, quite few of you might have a complete imagination of what a diesel engine is, in details. I haven't used any equitation or numbers in order to make it easy to read for any one who hasn't tech education.

So what a diesel engine is, you can ask. A diesel engine is machine which produces power. The burning or combustion takes places within the engine itself and so we call it an internal-combustion engine.

The diesel engine consists of the following basic parts:
1. A cylinder.
2. A piston which moves up and down inside the cylinder.
3. A crank mechanism: it consists of a shaft and a connecting rod which connects the crank to the piston and turns the up-and-down of the piston to a rotary motion of the crankshaft.
4. Two valves, one lets the air into the cylinder and the other lets out the burned or spent gases.
5. Spray nozzle or fuel injector which delivers oil for burning in the form of a finely divided spray.

Let's see what happens inside the engine.

First, we must inject air into the cylinder because no fuel will burn without air.
Second, we must compress the air to a high pressure. When we apply a high pressure before the combustion, the combustible mixture will produce more power. And, then, when we compress the air, its temperature goes up. As a result, this very hot air will ignite the fuel in the cylinder.
Third, we inject oil into the cylinder in the form of a fine spray.
Forth, combustion takes place and its generates a large amount of heat. The gaseous mixture inside the cylinder expands and pushes on the piston, which transmits the force through the connecting rod to the crank on the crankshaft. As a result, the crankshaft revolves and delivers power to the machine which engine drives.
Fifth, the piston finishes its power strokes and the gases in the cylinder lose their pressure and go out through the valves.

Why are diesel engines used so much? Not because they can produce power- there are many other ways of producing power. The diesel engine is one of the most highly efficient heat-engine: that is, it gets more power out the fuel it burns than any prime mover, except the largest and most efficient steam turbines. Its fuel consumption is much less than that of a gasoline engine. The diesel engine is not only efficient when it is fully loaded, but also when it is partly loaded. When running at half load, it consumes only about 10 per cent more fuel per unit of power produced than it does as full load. The efficiency of the other engines greatly decreases when he load is reduced. Diesel fuel is nonexplosive and is far less inflammable than gasoline. A diesel engine requires little water. and can be successfully used in the most arid region.
All these and many other advantages such as small size, lightness and compactness, quick starting etc. make a diesel a widely used machine.

By Xkalibur. All Rights Reserved.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

I don't get why they still product so many gasoline engines. I hate gasoline engines they are too difficult, they have less torque.. and gasoline have terrible taste too. Actually it seems they make even diesel engines now days too difficult and easily breakable.. but I still like diesel more. Maybe only electric motor *I like more since it seems that it have even better torque.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Hardi wrote:I don't get why they still product so many gasoline engines. I hate gasoline engines they are too difficult, they have less torque.. and gasoline have terrible taste too. Actually it seems they make even diesel engines now days too difficult and easily breakable.. but I still like diesel more. Maybe only electric motor *I like more since it seems that it have even better torque.
Also, the working life of a diesel engine is longer than that of gasoline engine because the block of cylinders, a crankshaft, details of piston group and the head of the block of cylinders are made of the strong alloys.

However, a diesel engine has some disadvantages. I will write about it later.