EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Please help me with this odd sentence!

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Please help me with this odd sentence!

Postby jiangsuxiaozi » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:32 pm

The following is an illustrative sentence explaining the word 'reck' in the electronic dictionary 'Kingsoft PowerWord'.But I have been awfully puzzling by it.I conjecture that this idea should be expressed with the word of 'reck' as 'What does he reck if the sky should fall?' or ' What recks him if the sky should fall?'.

Is it idiomatic saying or loose expression in oral English? Or,maybe it is right incorrectness?

---------What recks he if the sky should fall ? ------------[][/color][/u][/b]
A foreign language is a bridge leading to understanding,friendship,peace and happiness;a route leading to knowledge,wisdom,capability and fortune;and,even Venus leading you to your love outside of your country.
jiangsuxiaozi

reck

Postby Pirate » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:19 pm

Dear friend,

RECK is often used in poem or literature, so the utilization is very complex and sophisticated. And it is very often used in negative sentences, such as :

I reck not though I end my life to-day. --Shak.

Of me she recks not, nor my vain desire. --M. Arnold.

In this case, i think the sentence is RIGHT :

What recks he if the sky should fall?

And it means "What will/could he reck if the sky should fall?"

I can't explain the grammar here but i've found a similar example:
Then reck I not, when I have lost my life. --Chaucer.
(This sentence together with the 2 sentences above is taken from Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc. They are also the examples for the word RECK.)

Cheers
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby jiangsuxiaozi » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:12 am

Thanks to you 2 enthusiastic friends! I get it over!
A foreign language is a bridge leading to understanding,friendship,peace and happiness;a route leading to knowledge,wisdom,capability and fortune;and,even Venus leading you to your love outside of your country.
jiangsuxiaozi

Return to Help Each Other with English