jeangrey

another tips with english language

Post by jeangrey »

based on my experience, i learned english a lot by:
1. of course, my fave class is english.
2. reading english books.
3. watching english movie or tv series.
4. tune in to english radio.
5. practice to speak english everyday with your friend or officemates.make a game, like there will be a consequence if you dont or if you forgot to speak in english.in that way, we have no choice but to speak the language.

hope this might help you.
dariadaria

Post by dariadaria »

Hello, everyone!
Thanks for the tips... :wink:
zshuangyong

good method

Post by zshuangyong »

:D Hello everyone,I am newmember here. I from China.
I think the TIP'S methods nice! Thank u!
Montenegro

Post by Montenegro »

Hello,
I am new here. My english is not to good, I have problem with grammer beacose I lerned english by myself. Now I am gogin in one english school and I try to change my grammer. I have realy dificult period :roll: because I thing it's change realy slowly. I am realy unpatient, I want to speak gramatical right english.
I think this is right place for learning.
If someone interesting to spend litle time to write me are welcome. My mail address is: *******.co.uk

Snowy*

Hi

Post by Snowy* »

Hi Pirate

I followed your teacher advice I spoke and recorded my voice but I didn't like my voice ..
it's very funny when I speak in English..
and my pronunciation it's also funny ..

Give me another advice ..

Instead of I practicing speaking I spent time at laughing at my voice
Snowy*

for Montenegro

Post by Snowy* »

Montenegro wrote:Hello,
I am new here. My english is not to good, I have problem with grammer beacose I lerned english by myself. Now I am gogin in one english school and I try to change my grammer. I have realy dificult period :roll: because I thing it's change realy slowly. I am realy unpatient, I want to speak gramatical right english.
I think this is right place for learning.
If someone interesting to spend litle time to write me are welcome. My mail address is: *******.co.uk

Hi Montenegro

I saw your post I think you really need to improve your English ( like me :lol: )

You have a lot of spelling mistakes ..
I'll give you my advice..
Before you write any thing here put your post in (MS word) to check your spelling mistakes..

( I always do that :D )
rosaline

Post by rosaline »

HeLoo
My Name is Yanita from indonesia
i'm a new comer of this Forum
i realy want to speak English Fluently
since i found my new job as a Marketing Staff in a shoes Company <Adidas>
the communication between each department is using English Language by Email or Direct
sometimes i feel shy to speak so i just quite
i need your help if i make any mistakes in writing
please correct
Glad to be part of this Forum
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Practise makes perfect.

Don't worry about grammar. Just speak out. The more you speak the better your grammar will be.

English kids never learn grammar before they go to school, but they can speak English fluently. It's all because they speak English everyday.
BenWizard

To improve my English language skills

Post by BenWizard »

My native language is Spanish and I want to improve my English language skills. Could you tell me or any body where I can get that book "Not study, but learn"?. I couldn't find it in Amazon.com. Thanks a lot friends.
brocoli

Re: Tips for Speaking

Post by brocoli »

hi everybody it is excellent opportunity to read your posts and have in mind that there is other people like me that try to learn this language :P
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

Say whatever you think....never worry about the grammar......but you should check cursory before talk it out....... :)
ahmedxzxz

Post by ahmedxzxz »

that is a good tip for speaking...
forum

Post by forum »

Do you think you would be interested in an online chat room, where you could chat in English using voice?

I am thinking of starting one on my site http://askjohn.seesaa.net, but I am not sure if people would be interested in it.

What do you think?
John
Free English Lessons: http://www.askjohnenglish.com/
alkhader

Re: self learning"

Post by alkhader »

Good Afternoon Gents,

I am completely agree with the person who gave us the way of "Self Learning" which tells us that you have to bring recorder and cassettes then start to speak about any subject comes across your mind. after that listen to your speaking MANY TIMES then you can easily figure out your weakness points and you can see how good you are in speaking? And you will know who you start your conversation with polite words and sentences.

Start do that job always and time to time see how many changes have you done during short period

I really appreciate you all for your nice information and 4 subjects you submit :D

Your Always
Alkhader Ali
Zooboy

Post by Zooboy »

QUOTING Alkhader Ali
I am completely agree with the person who gave us the way of "Self Learning" which tells us that you have to bring recorder and cassettes then start to speak about any subject comes across your mind.

Yes,... and nowadays, with gimmicks like mini MP3 recorder and player,.. the problem of feeling embarassed being seen carrying a big mini-cassette-recorder is solved.

My private students do this when they attend seminars, business presentation, even English-speaking church sermons ...
They just record them, bring home and copy onto their computer hardrive and use them as self-learning listening exercises.

Hope this can inspire you too ... ;-)

Cheers,...

Zooboy
thomasz

Post by thomasz »

we have may difficult methods to speak English.so I like to talk with England to listen better.
emilykorea

Post by emilykorea »

thanks for sharing..but as they always say..practice makes perfect..:)
Hypercube

Re: Correct me if i'm wrong

Post by Hypercube »

strawberrypynk wrote:hi everyone..

i'm new here. i really need your help. some people says that we can improve our english by speaking with people. but then, i dont have enough confidence to speak, especially with people who speaks english fluently. please give some advice and motivate me because i really need it and please corrent my sentence. Thank you very much ;-)
Don't worry about it. Native speakers actually like it when you speak English. They can see you're making an effort. I grew up in rural Canada speaking only French. When I turned 16, I decided to go to an English school in Montreal. I didn't have much confidence at first either... Oral exams were a complete nightmare, as well as the essays we had to hand in. That was until I met some people who were interested in the same stuff as me. I say you should get to know some people, no matter how hard it can seem to you. You will notice that the more you know someone, the more confident you will get, and your English will improve considerably over the months :D
danni

Post by danni »

HI guys been here twice now,i always like to go into forums because i like to share some of my ideas too.Right now i am in Asia doing some schooling.I have the opportunity of tutoring some Koreans here & what i did is read,read,read & read books to widen my vocabularies.It's quite hard to teach them cause some of them don't really speak the language,but mind you they're really good at grammar.It is just the way you view things i guess,if you think it's easy it will be easy, just practice,practice & practice the language.This is where i am now,there's some forums in there too that you can read & get some tips in speaking the language.

http://www.filmschool.com
Asep
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Asep »

As Pirate said about his/her Australian English teacher, trying to practice speaking English alone might be one of those useful ways of practicing our speaking skills. I believe this proves effective, at least I figured it out when I was once informed of this trick by one of the best English teachers I had back in 2002. He once told me he used to practice speaking all by himself and that trick worked for him. I don't know if this trick can work for anybody else. Despite the need for being good at speaking, I've rarely spoken myself. The truth is, I've always found it much more effective when I speak with a partner (especially a good friend), as I can more easily come up with lots of ideas.
lasjuanas

Post by lasjuanas »

:-D Hi i just registered and i agree with you guys, i always watch tv, hear music to improve my english, but if you learn a new word and you dont practice every day you will never going to improve your english... i really thank you for the tips.
Tedddy

Post by Tedddy »

Hello everybody! For the best pronunciation it is necessary much to listen kaset in English, transmitters of language. And practiced together with them. Then there will be good results.
r1lita

Post by r1lita »

myenglishtutor wrote:Hi,
I think your accent is probably the least important part about learning your language. ... The most important part of learning English is increasing your vocabulary, perfecting your grammar, getting the pronunciation right and learning the different idioms
I completely agree with you.

For an ESL student, the speaking practice is pretty difficult because sometimes it's hard to find someone to speak with. For my case, I've joined an English Club in my city and it has helped me alot.
frdsmth

Post by frdsmth »

Good communication comes in many forms and styles. No rule is ever set in stone and breaking the rules can sometimes be the best way to get your point across. You should figure out what works best for you and develop your own style.

Whenever you do speak, always dress appropriately. You should look at least as good as your audience does. If you are appearing as an authority on your subject, dress better than your audience, if possible.

Always try to be informed on your subject. An audience can usually tell if you don't know what you are talking about. If someone asks a question you don't have the answer to, it is okay to say that you aren't sure. Be especially careful when your words may have undesired consequences.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

You should enunciate your words properly. Make sure that every syllable is enunciated properly. You can practice by reading a book allowed.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

If you're speaking as a resource speaker for an audience, it wouldn't hurt to start off with a joke especially if you're nervous. This will help break the ice and whatever wall is between you and the audience. It can also help your confidence.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

You also have to speak slowly! If you're speaking too fast, you have the tendency to stutter and to get lost in thought. When you're speaking slowly, you can gather your thoughts while you're speaking and you can also focus on proper pronunciation.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

Work on removing fillers and foghorns. Fillers are unnecessary words that we sometimes use. Words like basically, actually etc. Some people are dependent on fillers to keep the speech going.

Foghorns are words like "aahh", "uhm" and the likes. We sometimes use this if we're thinking of what we're going to say next.

It's not wrong to pause every now and then. Just pause instead of using fillers and foghorns to gather your thoughts. It will sound more natural that way,
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

^I agree! Goodluck on being a DJ! I've always wanted to be one! :)

I agree that you shouldn't be afraid to commit mistakes. Even the best english speakers commit mistakes as well. Just be confident and know how to handle mistakes correctly. Just laugh it off, learn from it and continue! :)
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

You can also practice speaking by visualizing yourself making that speech! This will help you calm down your nerves.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

If you're going to speak in front of an audience as a speaker, make sure that you know your material by heart! Don't rely too much on your prepared materials. You should know the subject by heart which will give you more confidence.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

If you're going to speak in front of an audience, have idiot cards instead of having your whole speech in front of you. Idiot cards or cue cards work best in small index cards. Just write down the topics and guides of what you're going to talk about. Not only will it look more natural, it can develop your speaking skills as well.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

mathewhayden wrote:Here are some tips by me to you for a good speaking skill. To speak fluently, first you should have confidence in yourself for a good start. And then choose any topic and start writing on that topic first and then take a recorder and start saying what you have written. Then you hear it and notice where you are in fault and then improve it.
Great tips. If you don't believe in yourself, why should your listeners believe in you?
mariaa

Post by mariaa »

Hello,
I have read your suggestions regarding English speaking. Its very good suggestion. But i want to add something. One should speak in English all the time. Start talking with friends, relatives and colleagues.
englishhelps
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by englishhelps »

Yes you're right. Practice makes perfect. :)
jamesmartyn

Post by jamesmartyn »

Careful transitions are an important part of preparation. A transition is a bridge from Point A to Point B - a connection between two points. If you learn to use specific transitions, you will improve the fluency of your speech as well as avoiding the verbalized pauses and unnecessary words. Good transitions demonstrate a command of language, thus enhancing your credibility.
syakirah

Post by syakirah »

sometimes im afraid to talk in english because im scared if i make mistakes... and i cant speak well infront others... but, when im talking to myself i can speak well... so anyone can help me,,, pleazes... :-(
syakirah

confuse

Post by syakirah »

however, my vocab is still lacking and sometimes i cant figure out what word must i describe during my conversation, huhu... and when im studying vocab, the vocab that i learn can't be used in the conversation... anyone,, please helpzz mezzz..... :roll:
PureGuava

Post by PureGuava »

In front of an audience, if the occasion allows it and/or it is quasi-informal, try bringing a little levity:

"You will have to excuse me, English is not my native tongue, so I might pronounce some words poorlier." <pause> "I know, poorlier is not grammatically correct... it's worstest." <pause during laughter> "That was a freebie." <smile then start speech>
maamstmas

Post by maamstmas »

Hi, Guys
thanks my brother for your tips,
they are very important to learning speaking,
but if i leave in Arabic country all of theme only speak Arabic language, what can i do?
anneparker

Lead Answer

Post by anneparker »

Really needed these kind of tips for speaking English , i am really into to speaking English. Well, when i will lead to the success then i will help to others .

http://www.answers.com/topic/lead-10
clevermae

Post by clevermae »

Improve your Learning Skills! Learning is a skill and it can be improved.

Your path to learning effectively is through knowing:

-yourself
-your capacity to learn
-processes you have successfully used in the past
-your interest, and knowledge of what you wish to learn

Don't be in too much of a hurry. You're setting off on a long journey and there'll be delays and frustrations along the way. Sometimes you'll be in the fast lane and other times you'll be stuck in traffic, but there will also be lots of interesting things and interesting people along the way. :geek:
Matian

Post by Matian »

The main reason why we English learners fail in conversing efficiently is that we are in a dilemma that what if we say something that doesn’t make sense or sometimes we are just feel shy to speak to someone because we don’t know how to strike a conversation or something like that.

Here are few tips to improve your speaking skill in English:

1.Build your confidence: The first thing is to have confidence in yourself and in your speaking. Not having confidence is just a mental blockage and try not to be shy.

2.Try NOT to translate: If you translate the words from your Mother tongue, The order of words is completely different and you will be both slow and incorrect by doing this. Instead, learn phrases and sentences so you don’t have to think about the words you are saying. It should be automatic.

Another problem with translating is that you will be trying to incorporate grammar rules that you have learned. Translating and thinking about the grammar to create English sentences is incorrect and should be avoided.

3. speak out loud: when you study, don’t just listen. Speak out loud the material you are listening to and practice what you hear. Practice speaking out loud until your mouth and brain can do it without any effort. By doing so, you will be able to speak English fluently.

4.Practice: Without practice, nothing can be achieved. You must practice what you learn – new words, grammar and some of the phrases I mentioned.

5. Don’t speak too fast! It’s important to use a natural rhythm when speaking English, but if you speak too fast it will be difficult for people to understand you.

6.Expand your vocabulary: What you need to do is watch English movies with subtitles. As soon as you see and listen a new word, write it down and look for its meaning in a dictionary. Look on the internet to find sentences with that word. Pronounce the word many times to make it second nature. Review the words for two weeks at least and they will be a part of your vocabulary.

You got to watch a movie and boosted your word knowledge at the same time. Reading novels is another great way to learn new words and their use in different situations. So pick up a nice and interesting novel from your local library and start the learning process right away

7. surround yourself with English: You can do this by making rules with your existing friends that you will only speak English. You can also carry around an iPod and constantly listen to English sentences. As you can see, you can achieve results by changing what your surroundings are. Submerge yourself in English and you will learn several times faster.

8.Find native friends and speak with them: there so many sources for chatting through internet which make you able to communicate with people around the worlds,so you can be connected and speak as much as you want.
have fun :)

for improve the other skill you can refer to my website
http://www.englishbyidioms.com
ChenYanRu

Post by ChenYanRu »

I study English beginner
I thought that many and the human practices the dialog to have the help very much!
:)
easylsl

Post by easylsl »

Thank You for your advice
i don't have anyone with whom i can interact in English. i will surely take the help of ht ips provided by you to improve my speech :)
newmohsen

Post by newmohsen »

I think the best Idea is that try to speak with people on skype, so if u like add me there my ID is mohsen_hoseini
cursosen

Post by cursosen »

Speaking of any language is an art. The most of the people learn speaking any language with help of coaching classes, through tv, radio etc.
neelus

Post by neelus »

Everyone here is providing excellent tips for speaking English.I feel that practicing English with books or materials wont help to speak perfect English.So i have started practicing English with videos http://www.youtube.com/user/twominenglish practicing speaking with videos helps to learn English fast.
JustinEng

Post by JustinEng »

Wow, some great ideas here indeed.
I think that if you want to improve your spoken English, it would be a good idea to practise speaking. Repeat the conversations in your favourite movies to help exercise the muscles in your mouth and try to start slow and gradually build up speed.
Another idea is that if you want a partner to talk to but you live in a non-English country, try to find one on a website like http://www.livemocha.com or perhaps http://www.meetup.com.
I hope that helps {-:
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Great ideas everybody. Thanks. I stumbled in to this while looking for sites which helped you practice spoken English with native speakers.Pls share know any other options. It seems like there are not many good options.