EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Speaking

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for Speaking

Postby lasjuanas » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:56 pm

:-D Hi i just registered and i agree with you guys, i always watch tv, hear music to improve my english, but if you learn a new word and you dont practice every day you will never going to improve your english... i really thank you for the tips.
lasjuanas

Postby Tedddy » Thu May 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Hello everybody! For the best pronunciation it is necessary much to listen kaset in English, transmitters of language. And practiced together with them. Then there will be good results.
Tedddy

Postby r1lita » Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 am

myenglishtutor wrote:Hi,
I think your accent is probably the least important part about learning your language. ... The most important part of learning English is increasing your vocabulary, perfecting your grammar, getting the pronunciation right and learning the different idioms

I completely agree with you.

For an ESL student, the speaking practice is pretty difficult because sometimes it's hard to find someone to speak with. For my case, I've joined an English Club in my city and it has helped me alot.
r1lita
Gold Member

Postby frdsmth » Wed May 27, 2009 9:24 am

Good communication comes in many forms and styles. No rule is ever set in stone and breaking the rules can sometimes be the best way to get your point across. You should figure out what works best for you and develop your own style.

Whenever you do speak, always dress appropriately. You should look at least as good as your audience does. If you are appearing as an authority on your subject, dress better than your audience, if possible.

Always try to be informed on your subject. An audience can usually tell if you don't know what you are talking about. If someone asks a question you don't have the answer to, it is okay to say that you aren't sure. Be especially careful when your words may have undesired consequences.
frdsmth

Postby englishhelps » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:30 am

You should enunciate your words properly. Make sure that every syllable is enunciated properly. You can practice by reading a book allowed.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:31 pm

If you're speaking as a resource speaker for an audience, it wouldn't hurt to start off with a joke especially if you're nervous. This will help break the ice and whatever wall is between you and the audience. It can also help your confidence.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:20 pm

You also have to speak slowly! If you're speaking too fast, you have the tendency to stutter and to get lost in thought. When you're speaking slowly, you can gather your thoughts while you're speaking and you can also focus on proper pronunciation.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 am

Work on removing fillers and foghorns. Fillers are unnecessary words that we sometimes use. Words like basically, actually etc. Some people are dependent on fillers to keep the speech going.

Foghorns are words like "aahh", "uhm" and the likes. We sometimes use this if we're thinking of what we're going to say next.

It's not wrong to pause every now and then. Just pause instead of using fillers and foghorns to gather your thoughts. It will sound more natural that way,
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:39 pm

^I agree! Goodluck on being a DJ! I've always wanted to be one! :)

I agree that you shouldn't be afraid to commit mistakes. Even the best english speakers commit mistakes as well. Just be confident and know how to handle mistakes correctly. Just laugh it off, learn from it and continue! :)
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:11 am

You can also practice speaking by visualizing yourself making that speech! This will help you calm down your nerves.
englishhelps
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Help Each Other with English