EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Listening

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for Listening

Postby nat » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:41 am

One of the best way to improve listening is listening to English and American songs.Begin with songs of Madonna, Beatles.Their songs are quite understandable for learners of English.Listen and try to put down words.Listen one and the same song until you understand and put down every word you hear.It's not so difficult and moreover it's not boring!Good luck! ;-)
nat
Gold Member

Postby Bambang » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:28 am

bestvni wrote:My favorite way to improve my listening skilll is listen to the radio in english!

I like doing this, too.
We're all friends, right?
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Cossette » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:22 am

To improve my listening skill, I keep on watching news on TV such as the BBC and CNN. I also watch English movies.
Cossette

Postby Krisha » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:00 am

I have difficulty in listening especially if i watch british english movies like harry potter. The intonation and the accent is hard to comprehend.
Krisha

Postby MattNickson » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:06 am

yup yup thats way way better ,meeting a native english speaking person .
But watching movies and listening to songs also helps a lot .

best Of Luck :)

Check Grammar, Spelling or Style and Enhance It!
Proofreading Software
MattNickson

Postby kasunsilva » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 pm

The best thing is to practise with a native speaker. If you can't, watching DVDs with subtitles will help, and BBC/ CNN news if you can get it (if you video a TV programme, you can watch it slowly and it will be easier to understand.)
kasunsilva

Postby frdsmth » Wed May 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Listen for name

Repeat a person’s name when you first meet him or her. This will make you listen first and talk second. You want to have a mental set to become a better listener, and repeating a person’s name will help you do that.

Don’t hesitate to ask a person to repeat the name the second time, especially if the name is unusual. You are showing concern for the other person, which is an important aspect of listening.
frdsmth

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:40 am

1. Ask the speaker to speak more slowly. The person speaking wants you to understand, so they are happy to slow down - but you need to ask them.

2. Ask people to repeat what they have said if you didn't understand. Again, the speaker is trying to have a conversation and will do what they can to help you.

3. Watch English television programs and movies aimed for children and teenagers. They use a level of English that is good for learners. Most countries offer cable television from other cultures.
Jessica

Postby englishhelps » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:28 am

You have to avoid external distractions. If you're practicing your listening skills by talking to someone, do it in a quiet room that doesn't have that many distractions like paintings or appliances.

If you're going to practice using songs, settle for the slower songs first.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:35 pm

You can also play a game to practice your listening skills. This should be done in groups. This is a game called "pass the message". Form a line and the one in front should write down a paragraph. Then he should read the message to the person behind him. He should whisper the message to him. Then the 2nd person should whisper whatever it is that he remembered from the message passed to him. It is important that the others don't hear what you're saying. Then this goes on until the last person and the last person should go up front and write down what he heard. Then compare notes to see if you did well.
englishhelps
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Help Each Other with English