How to find an abbreviation quickly (NEW ! Come & JOIN)

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

hurricane_sh

How to find an abbreviation quickly (NEW ! Come & JOIN)

Post by hurricane_sh »

Here is a Google tip, for example, you want to know what "LOL" stands for.

Search "define:LOL" using Google.
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

Hi everybody,

What do you think if we have a small quiz each week, for abbreviation :?:

I will give the abbreviation on Mondays, and you give the answer until the next Monday. Of course you can guess, or ask, or search; but after that we will have a collection in the forum!
If you like, I think you can post the puzzle for other members too.

Will you join? I need your ideas :wink:

Pirate
Ms.A.Z
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Ms.A.Z »

hi Mr pirate

i think its really a wonderful idea.....so i will join in..i dont have other ideas right now but when i have them i will let u know ..bye

ms-a.z
hurricane_sh

Post by hurricane_sh »

But people can easily find the answer from the Internet.
Ms.A.Z
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Ms.A.Z »

hi hurricane_sh

i think ur right people will find the answers from internet easily and so on but atleast we will have a collection right so i guess its ok.... hey can u think of some other nice ideas by which all ec members can participate and enjoy if yes the do share......bye
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Need your feedback

Post by Pirate »

Well, in my opinion we can do more things than just giving the full phrases for the abbreviations, such as sharing stories around those phrases or writing a paragraph using the given abbreviations, or something like that. Please share if you have ideas about this.

And let me know what you’re thinking. This can be done only when there is a relative number of members who like and join.

I’m waiting for all of your replies. Thanks a lot.
hurricane_sh

Post by hurricane_sh »

This makes sense, I would like to join :-)
die+t

Post by die+t »

count me in,it sounds funny!!!!
may i ??!!
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

Dear all members,

Due to the need of a place to practise English especially Writing and the interest of English learners, I would like to start up a new activity in our forum, which I hope will be helpful for all of you. It is very easy for you to join, and we welcome everyone of course.

Let’s have a look:
1- The root of each exercise that comes to you is ABBREVIATION.
Abbreviation, as we all know, is the shortened form of a word or phrase.
In this definition, we also include acronym, which is the abbreviation coined from the initial letters or the initial multi-letters of a phrase.
Eg : UK stands for United Kingdom
radar stands for radio detection and ranging
Notion:
* An abbreviation in American English often goes with a stop ‘.’ in the end (Mr. - kg. etc) while the stop is dropped in modern British English. (not very important though)
* It is very important for us to write an abbreviation with the capital letters or not, because an PM (Prime Minister) is different from pm (post meridiem) in 4 pm (16h).
* An acronym can be pronounced letter-by-letter. In this case, the stress falls on the last syllable. And remember to add an article in front of it. An example is “the BBC”.
* In the other case, an acronym is pronounced as an independent word and here we don’t use articles. So we say “UNESCO” instead of ‘the UNESCO’.
2- What would we do?
I will give you some abbreviations each time, which relate to one topic. Your task is to give the full words or phrases for each abbreviation, then write(post) an article/paragraph around the topic, or simply share the stories as far as they are concerned.
All comments (praise/complaint for a certain writing or topic and other ideas) should come to me via private messages. After the deadline of each topic, I’ll give a short summary and it’s time to start a new one. The period of running time depends on the topic.

Please pay attention: I recommend you to write seriously, in English of course, because your posts will be deleted if they are not relevant or stretch just 3-5 lines. Check your writing before you post, and feel free to edit it even after you have posted it.

Thanks for joining and have a nice stay each time!
Last edited by Pirate on Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

Hello and welcome,

Today we do this for the first time, and the topic is :
COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD

Here are the 3-letter abbreviation, which is actually the Codes for the Representation of Names of Countries, prepared by ISO (International Organization for Standardization). ISO also includes the 2-letter codes, used as the Internet Country code by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) to establish country-coded top-level domains (ccTLDs).
I just give here the codes of countries where English is the mother tongue:
AUS * GRB * USA * CAN * VGB * VIR * HKG * IRL * NZL * SGP * ZAF
Give me the fullname of the countries, then choose 1 or more country/ies to write about. OR give the 3-letter code of a specific country, then its full name, together with an introduction about that country.
You have up to 1 month ( post before 00h00 GMT 26 July August 2004). Once again thanks for your joining and goodbye for now.

Yours,
Pirate