Don't turn out the meaning of the new words

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

cccc3331

Post by cccc3331 »

Or, just use an english-english dictionary

The idea came to me so inspiring as I came across these underlined words (paraded, railing, swooping, bow, chins, lace, staggerer) on page 92 ,Adwanced English Course, because the idea just got a sudden contact with the thoughts of what is English or what is the natural of learning english.
As for the guestion of what is English or what is the natural of learning english, I've thought over many times and and one of the answer is We are re-learning the whole things in another language. Some are familiar in our life and some maybe complete unknow to us pertaining new knowledge or another nation. However, whatever it is, for the true obstacle of its linguistic form, they are all new to us. Herein, we are just small babies.
How to deal with the unknow, guess the meaning or let them alone?
I've taught lot of skill how to stop checking up a new word to analyze and judge its meaning through the known and basic knowledge of life or grammer or anything the like, but that is quite different from what I want to emphasize here now, because what all that we do is just based on the idea of English learning is just to get what they are talking about. This, to be exactly, can't be called english learning, instead, it is the using of english, though, it's not bad. In that case, many will be helpful to get a satisfied comprehension, among them the most efficient one is just the two-edged tool ----- a chinese-english dictionary, which helps the english users and meanwhile killing so many english learners.
Let me say my point again: how to deal with the unknow? In the above process, if we honestly stick to our purpose of understanding, we would, perhapse, forget the pain caused by the unknown words or completely neglected by the old hands, but is not useful for the passionate learner, 'cos the there is nothing lelt in his mind about the unknown words and even the known ones. If we say english learning means learning the whole thing in another language form, there should be something remain in our mind, for the learner to learn. (Once checked they disappear, maybe it's happy to get its meaning, but the meaning in chinese form means nothing to a chinese.)
So, I say, let them be there! First, we must persuade ourselves that they are not troubles but they are just something unknown to us, something we just want to learn about! Then, we would easily accept the fact that we can't understand it thoroughly as the native speaker does. At this, we would be thankful for the little pieces of clue provided in an english-english dictionary. We should know that It's a proceeding work instead of one single stroke. Keeping them unknow in our mind would just be like keeping something fresh in a refrigerator. They would remind us something we have, something we expect to come across again some day. We would remember the environment where we met and even try to use them in a similar occasion and we would be surely ready for the possible mistakes that might come from an unexpected corner. No matter whatever the situation is, we are indeed on the way of doing some real work dealing with the new things in a new language form. Let's see how we did when we learn our own language at the very beginning. We never checked up a dictionary. We have so many things unknown, new and fresh. We never felt ashamed of our ignorance but so inspired for the curiosity of this new world.
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Just to add ideas...

Post by pob »

When you are a baby, it's normal all around you is in a one language. As you grow, with a lot of time, you learn to understand the language... and if you have no problems with it, or you learn grammar, you could express ideas in that language and make other people to understand you.

So, when you learn a new language, the main problems are time and which language there is around you. You probably start learning another language in school or when you are elder... so you have many things to do, and you have not much time to learn and go through the new language except if you live in a place where everything is in that language and so your brain can make a great work of catching ideas and meanings...
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Don't turn out the meaning of the new words

Post by ProfessorVerb »

cccc3331 wrote:At this, we would be thankful for the little pieces of clue provided in an english-english dictionary. We should know that It's a proceeding work instead of one single stroke. Keeping them unknown in our mind would just be like keeping something fresh in a refrigerator. They would remind us something we have, something we expect to come across again some day. We would remember the environment where we met and even try to use them in a similar occasion and we would be surely ready for the possible mistakes that might come from an unexpected corner.
This is an excellent observation and very colorfully expressed as well. "...like keeping something fresh in a refrigerator" made me smile, and your insightful thoughts on learning another language are right on the money.