I'm very bat at speaking skill!

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

I'm very bat at speaking skill!

Post by harvester »

I really want to learn more how to speak English fluently. I'm bad at speaking English. I can't stand sitting in speaking class during a hour. I am afraid of presentating in front of the class. It's too difficult for me to express my mind. I often think so long about what I should speak out. It takes me long time before saying something. How terrible! In public place I can't open a conversation to a foreigner. That's my bad point. I'm looking for some English club to improve my speaking skill. I'm trying to do it. I really wish I could become a good speaker in the future!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Organize your thoughts, what you wanted to say first and then "read" your thoughts out loud. The more you do it, the better you'll get in thinking in English. And eventually, you'll get used to think in English and speak out what you think in English. It'll take time especially for people who are shy; however, don't give up and you'll get there.
My boyfriend once asked me, "did you know you would be where you are right now?" (He meant my English). I told him I knew, and I knew it took time; therefore, I never gave up trying to reach it. I hope you won't, too since you will be at the level you want to be in English. Trust me, you will. :wink:
grapefruit

Post by grapefruit »

First I want to say LennyeTran gave you a very good advice. I myself don't either speak English well. Please allow me to keep this advice to improve my English speaking skill. I remember my teacher told me not be afraid of saying wrong, try to say out everything you thoungt. When you're wrong it means you are overcoming the first difficult step. You will be better everyday if you never give up. I wish you will get everything you want! :P
harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by harvester »

LennyeTran wrote:Organize your thoughts, what you wanted to say first and then "read" your thoughts out loud. The more you do it, the better you'll get in thinking in English. And eventually, you'll get used to think in English and speak out what you think in English. It'll take time especially for people who are shy; however, don't give up and you'll get there.
My boyfriend once asked me, "did you know you would be where you are right now?" (He meant my English). I told him I knew, and I knew it took time; therefore, I never gave up trying to reach it. I hope you won't, too since you will be at the level you want to be in English. Trust me, you will. :wink:
Yes, I will remember your advice. At home I will practise English in front of the mirrow carefully. At class I will try to say out instead of sitting in one place and keeping silent. "Don't give up and you get there". Thanks for your advice, LennyeTran, it really encourage me and the other!
By the way, thanks grapefruit, you and I will try more!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

harvester wrote: Yes, I will remember your advice. At home I will practise English in front of the mirrow carefully. At class I will try to say out instead of sitting in one place and keeping silent. "Don't give up and you get there". Thanks for your advice, LennyeTran, it really encourage me and the other!
By the way, thanks grapefruit, you and I will try more!
You're welcome, harvester. You know you will be there; don't give up on it. And take advantage of your speaking class as much as you can, I recommend. If your friends are laughing at you if it's because you can't speak well and like to speak, then let them laugh. At the end of the day, however, you're the one who get to practice your English speaking skills. Maybe some day they will turn to you to ask for help how to pronounce some words or they would like to be your speaking partners in class. Isn't it cool? :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

grapefruit wrote:First I want to say LennyeTran gave you a very good advice. I myself don't either speak English well. Please allow me to keep this advice to improve my English speaking skill. I remember my teacher told me not be afraid of saying wrong, try to say out everything you thoungt. When you're wrong it means you are overcoming the first difficult step. You will be better everyday if you never give up. I wish you will get everything you want! :P
This is how I felt when I first spoke English. I said so many wrong things (people had a good laugh; they said it was too innocent. Whatever that meant :oops: ), and then whenever I thought about it my face just turned red like I was doing the mistakes all over again. However, after a while, I got used to it; I didn't really care. I normally thought about all the mistakes I did for that day, but then I was like, "Yeah! Whatever! Who cares! At least, I've given them one year younger because of laughing." And now I don't care about the mistakes I do. My boyfriend laughs at my English a lot, but he still helps me to improve it. Thus, if you're afraid to make mistakes, how do people know where/what to help you? And if people can't help you, how do you know what you might say is a mistake? Right? :wink:
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

LennyeTran wrote:...if you're afraid to make mistakes, how do people know where/what to help you? And if people can't help you, how do you know what you might say is a mistake? Right?
Right Lennye,

Sweeping dust from corners into the middle of the room is what is needed to learn by trial and error. Making mistakes and taking all the responsibility for brushing your speech up - most effective! Sure!

Smiles,

GiddyGad
zaman
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by zaman »

thanks a lot friend ;
that is indeed the best advice i took it , becaues i am prctice my self by the method you are give it to us , i am feeling now better then before , i am every day practice by talking front the mirror and trying to speak loudly ,
harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by harvester »

Thanks LenneyTran! :) You are a person who have known many of experience for studying English, I think. And you shared with me and everybody here, so you've so kind, thank you! I hope you will share it for everyone who need the help.
harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by harvester »

zaman wrote:thanks a lot friend ;
that is indeed the best advice i took it , becaues i am prctice my self by the method you are give it to us , i am feeling now better then before , i am every day practice by talking front the mirror and trying to speak loudly ,
Welcome zaman. I am practicing English now. Speaking Englinsh in front of the mirror is a good way. I have ever do like that when I had a presentation in the class. :)
I hope you will be successful!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

harvester wrote:Thanks LenneyTran! :) You are a person who have known many of experience for studying English, I think. And you shared with me and everybody here, so you've so kind, thank you! I hope you will share it for everyone who need the help.
:wink: Thank you to you, too, for your question. We're all here trying to master another language different than our mother tongues; therefore, any tips or questions will be helpful, right?
harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by harvester »

. We're all here trying to master another language different than our mother tongues; therefore, any tips or questions will be helpful, right?[/quote]

Yesssssss LenneyTran! :) :) :)
nhuquynh

Post by nhuquynh »

your tips are very useful but I have a kind of different problem. I could read well, understanding English is not a problem to me. I could translate from English to Vietnamese so quickly but I couldn't inverse it. sometime I find myself so stupid since I couldn't express my idea in English. my friend told me that I have problem of thinking in English but I find it difficult to me. If one concept first appears to me in English, no matter, but if it appears to me in Vietnamese first, naturally I always thinking about it in Vietnamese, not English. So, it's very slowly for me to express my idea. any advice?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

nhuquynh wrote:your tips are very useful but I have a kind of different problem. I could read well, understanding English is not a problem to me. I could translate from English to Vietnamese so quickly but I couldn't inverse it. sometime I find myself so stupid since I couldn't express my idea in English. my friend told me that I have problem of thinking in English but I find it difficult to me. If one concept first appears to me in English, no matter, but if it appears to me in Vietnamese first, naturally I always thinking about it in Vietnamese, not English. So, it's very slowly for me to express my idea. any advice?
I think when you do the English-Vietnamese translation it only happens when you read something in English; therefore, your brain gets used to see English words and process them to Vietnamese. I believe you don't do Vietnamese-English translation when you read Vietnamese stuff. That's why it slows you down more when you try to do it. Why don't you give it some time? Try to translate news, essays, short stories, songs, poems, etc. in Vietnamese to English. It might be slow at first, but at times it will get better. :wink:
harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by harvester »

LennyeTran wrote:
nhuquynh wrote:your tips are very useful but I have a kind of different problem. I could read well, understanding English is not a problem to me. I could translate from English to Vietnamese so quickly but I couldn't inverse it. sometime I find myself so stupid since I couldn't express my idea in English. my friend told me that I have problem of thinking in English but I find it difficult to me. If one concept first appears to me in English, no matter, but if it appears to me in Vietnamese first, naturally I always thinking about it in Vietnamese, not English. So, it's very slowly for me to express my idea. any advice?
I think when you do the English-Vietnamese translation it only happens when you read something in English; therefore, your brain gets used to see English words and process them to Vietnamese. I believe you don't do Vietnamese-English translation when you read Vietnamese stuff. That's why it slows you down more when you try to do it. Why don't you give it some time? Try to translate news, essays, short stories, songs, poems, etc. in Vietnamese to English. It might be slow at first, but at times it will get better. :wink:

And I think vocabulary is very neccessary for our translation. If we don't have enough words we can't express our idea in English. We'd better learn more the basic vocabulary whick help us define a new word. In a dictionary, they often give us a list of words, so we should read it to understand their defintion in it. I think these words can call the basic words.
Thanks LenneyTran because of your advice, I really agree with you! :)
nhuquynh

Post by nhuquynh »

harvester wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:

And I think vocabulary is very neccessary for our translation. If we don't have enough words we can't express our idea in English. We'd better learn more the basic vocabulary whick help us define a new word. In a dictionary, they often give us a list of words, so we should read it to understand their defintion in it. I think these words can call the basic words.
Thanks LenneyTran because of your advice, I really agree with you! :)
I'm trying to do this at the moment. I try to use English as much as I can ( write memo, diary,..) & I hope it would be useful. Thank you very much for your advice. :D
harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by harvester »

nhuquynh wrote:
I'm trying to do this at the moment. I try to use English as much as I can ( write memo, diary,..) & I hope it would be useful. Thank you very much for your advice. :D[/quote]

nhuquynh! writing diary, memo in English is a good way. Now I will do like yours, thank you, too! :)
CityYoung
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by CityYoung »

Me too . I'm bad when i speak and I'm very shy when I speak in the class I afried to make wrong :oops: .I didn't practice words in home so I will practice alot of words in home to speak fast .
harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by harvester »

CityYoung wrote:Me too . I'm bad when i speak and I'm very shy when I speak in the class I afried to make wrong :oops: .I didn't practice words in home so I will practice alot of words in home to speak fast .
Hello CityYoung! I wish you will do what you want. I've joined into an English speaking club recently and it's really interesting. You should find one and try to spent a little time to take part in it every weekend, I think it will help you more practicing speaking skill. The first time I went there, I was shy and kept silent. Then I tried my best and I felt better. I hope this is one of the way for you to choose for practicing English. Good luck to you, CityYoung!
Yen

Post by Yen »

CityYoung wrote:Me too . I'm bad when i speak and I'm very shy when I speak in the class I afried to make wrong :oops: .I didn't practice words in home so I will practice alot of words in home to speak fast .
Me too, I'm very affair when my class have presentation .. I affaid my pronunciation is not good for my class understand and I affaid they ask me" what do you say?" when I finish my presentation ... :cry: :oops: :cry: