My essay, pl take a look and give me your opinion to my emai

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

trantung

My essay, pl take a look and give me your opinion to my emai

Post by trantung »

I AM DOING A RESEARCH INTO THE REALIZATION OF COMFORTING AND APOLOGIZING ACTS BY NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS. HOWEVER, DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE NO OPPORTUNITIES TO HAVE DIRECT CONTACT WITH NATIVE SPEAKERS, I WOULD HIGHLY APPRECIATE YOUR ASSISTANCE IN COMPLETING THE QUESTIONAIRE.
ON COMPLETION OF THE QUESTIONAIRE, PLEASE SEND IT TO
MY E – MAIL ADDRESS: *******.com
Thanks in advance for your time and effort.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This questionnaire is designed for our research into “The speech act of comforting and apology in English”. The purpose of this questionnaire is to find out what you would naturally say in the situations listed below. Please feel free to complete the questionnaire, as all information is confidential.

Country of birth:………………………………………………….
When were you born?.............................................................
Your occupation: …………………………………………………
Sex: ڤFemale ڤMale
Highest level of education: ڤHigh school ڤUniversity ڤ Other
What is your first language?..........................................................
What language do you use when you speak to your parents?.....................
Area where you spend most of your time: ڤUrban ڤRural
Please read the following situations and write down the comforting and apologizing acts you would offer in a normal conversation. Thank you very much for your valuable assistance (because we must finish our research within a very short limited period of time).

SURVEY QUESTIONNAIRE
A- The speech act of comforting
Situation 1: You are a personnel at an office. Your chief of bureau’s girl friend has just left him. How would you say to comfort him if
a. He is older than you?.......................................................................................
…………………………………………………………………………………
b. He is the same age as you?..............................................................................
………………………………………………………………………………….
c. He is younger than you?..................................................................................
Situation 2: Your close friend works for a rather reputable company so her monthly income is comparatively high. Unluckily, some days ago, she was fired because of the reason that her lateness for work in a month exceeded the company’s allowed regulations. How would you say to comfort her if
a. She is older than you?………………………………………………………..
b. She is the same age as you?………………………………………………….
c. She is younger than you?…………………………………………………….
B- The speech act of apology
Situation 1: You are a student. You have to write an essay. When reading a published book, you came across some ideas that were effectively expressed. You decided to copy them without acknowledging the source. When your professor read your essay, he realized that you had cheated. You are now trying to explain your action to the professor. What would you say to him if
a. He is older than you?.......................................................................................
b. He is the same age as you?..............................................................................
c. He is younger than you?..................................................................................
Situation 2: You are the head of a department of a large office. Last week you borrowed a co-worker’s portable computer because you had a lot of extra work to do and were going out of town, and because your computer had broken down. However, you accidentally erased some important information in her computer. You are now returning the computer to her. What would you say to her if
a. She is older than you?………………………………………………………
Situation 3: You are a taxi driver. When you were backing up in the car park, you did not notice that another driver was backing, too. You crashed into his car, and the gear ends of both cars were damaged. What would you say to him if

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

As much as I'd like to help you, I'm not qualified since I'm not an English native speaker.
trantung

Post by trantung »

Thank Jenny Tran. Please feel free to do this survey! It is not restrict for native English speaker only even I wrote it in my survey.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: My essay, pl take a look and give me your opinion to my

Post by MissLT »

trantung wrote:
Country of birth:………………………………………………….
When were you born?.............................................................
Your occupation: …………………………………………………
Sex: ڤFemale ڤMale
Highest level of education: ڤHigh school ڤUniversity ڤ Other
What is your first language?..........................................................
What language do you use when you speak to your parents?.....................
Area where you spend most of your time: ڤUrban ڤRural
1. Vietnam
2. Saigon
3. Student
4. Female
5. University
6. Vietnamese
7. Vietnamese
8. Urban
trantung wrote: SURVEY QUESTIONNAIRE
A- The speech act of comforting
Situation 1: You are a personnel at an office. Your chief of bureau’s girl friend has just left him. How would you say to comfort him if
It depends on my relationship with this person. If I hang out with this person outside the work area, then I think I would give him some advice. Otherwise, I think I would say the same thing to him no matter what age he is, "I hope everything will work out for you. And if you need any advice, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be there!"
trantung wrote:Situation 2: Your close friend works for a rather reputable company so her monthly income is comparatively high. Unluckily, some days ago, she was fired because of the reason that her lateness for work in a month exceeded the company’s allowed regulations. How would you say to comfort her if
a. She is older than you?………………………………………………………..
It doesn't matter what age she is, I'd help her to finding a new job. And probably I'd take her to go shopping to buy a new alarm clock for her.
trantung wrote:B- The speech act of apology
Situation 1: You are a student. You have to write an essay. When reading a published book, you came across some ideas that were effectively expressed. You decided to copy them without acknowledging the source. When your professor read your essay, he realized that you had cheated. You are now trying to explain your action to the professor. What would you say to him if
I don't know this one since I would get expelled before I could explain my reasons. Plagiarism is not allowed. If the professor was nice enough to just give me a warning, I would apologize for the act and promise not to do it ever again. Giving a reason why I did it is stupid to me. There is no acceptable reason for me to copy other people's work under any condition. If I didn't know how to do it, I could get help from the professor. If I didn't have time to do it, I could turn it in late and get some points off. In short, there is no reason to copy other people's work. It's dishonest.
trantung wrote:Situation 2: You are the head of a department of a large office. Last week you borrowed a co-worker’s portable computer because you had a lot of extra work to do and were going out of town, and because your computer had broken down. However, you accidentally erased some important information in her computer. You are now returning the computer to her. What would you say to her if
a. She is older than you?………………………………………………………
Apologize!
trantung wrote:Situation 3: You are a taxi driver. When you were backing up in the car park, you did not notice that another driver was backing, too. You crashed into his car, and the gear ends of both cars were damaged. What would you say to him if

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!
Apologize, exchange phone numbers and insurance company!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

And sorry to take this long to answer. I accidentally deleted the notification. I was about to come back to finish it the next day since I was busy on the day I deleted the notification, but then I totally forgot about it :oops: .