Learning words

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Learning words

Post by letsjam »

Hello guys. Pls tell me what is the best way to learn english words? How do u learn 'em? Maybe with texts or u just write them down? I have a good memory, but it's difficult for me to learn words :( I forget them very quickly. Give me any advice pls. Thank you for replying.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I'm still learning, especially from TV or books. I think we learn faster when we find the new words in context. You don't need a translation or explanation, because from the context you can guess their meaning. I retain those new words really fast this way and learn how to apply them to daily-life English because apart from learning them you also learn what type of context you can use them in.
letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by letsjam »

Hello Dixie, thank you so much for your advice. Take care. POWER ON!! :P
Virgil

The best way to learn English words.

Post by Virgil »

Dear letsjam,

Here are some tips for you.

- Try to read as much as possible. Reading is primordial to raise your vocabulary. Read books, news and etc. It's obvious that you will come across a thousand words that you don't know yet. When it comes to reading a book, for instance, try not to waste your time looking up words in the dictionary at the moment of your reading, for this will spoil your interest to read. Try to undersand the context. If you opt for looking up the unkwon words later it's much better. Also take advantage of this and practice your pronunciation reading, whatever it is, in a loud tone. I've learned a lot from reading and I still do.

- Try your best to understand the lyrics form a song. Write down the words that you undestood (by listening, I mean) and just give in when you have tried your best. Then check the lyrics, the words you could not get (you can get hold of lyrics free of charge on the internet) and then learn their meaning using an English-English dictionary. This is also advisable pertaining to news (short pieces of news).

- Try to set your appliances (TV, radio, computer), cell phones to English language.

- If you are not good at uttering numbers a good tip is to read cars license plate numbers. That's a good practice.

- If you live in a non-speaking English country, get an email account form a provider in English, which will help you assimilate internet words in English.

- Last but not least, see to it that you think in English. The mouth only translates what the brain processses. Thus, needless to say you are supposed to train your brain to this.

The above hints are what I have been doing to improve my English. In fact I always find new ways to better my English and I think that if you are also an English lover you will find your ways.

* Please do not adhere to internet spelling like those from chat rooms ( U instead of you, R instead of are, 2 intead of too and so on).

Good luck.
letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by letsjam »

Hello Virgil, thank you SO much. Your methods are really very helpful. I set all of my appliances to english language for a long long time ago. I love to read books in english, watch movies... Unfortunatly i live in non-speaking English country, in Russia. Well english is common here anyway. But i'm an english-lover. I write lyrics in english language (i'm a songwriter). And when i have language practice with my american friends, i usually understand everything they say to me. The only problem is learning words, but now i can say "the only problem was...". Yo guys really helped me. Thank you again. Take care.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

there are plaves in here with quides for learning i really found to be good advise...the best may be dont overdo that about six words a day max is a good number to learn...some optimum learning curve bias study....whatever,,,i can believe it...a good number. also i took all those tests for fun...above in test yourself...then you have a grade and can measure your progress....i like that...but yeah it is my mother tongue so :oops: tikay :lol:8

UH OH well there may be plaves but there definately are places...to learn and be tested in the forum here.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

tikay wrote:there are plaves in here with quides for learning i really found to be good advise...

UH OH well there may be plaves but there definately are places...to learn and be tested in the forum here.
Plaves?? :roll:
Is that a new word to add to the list? :wink:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

list which list?
i was just thinking of a clever way to say oops!
where is this list of words?
what is it's focus?
:lol:
I am thinking there may be a word such as plaves in some universe or another, or in some country, but it is incorrect in my English.
creative editing leads to confusion... :lol:
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

I was talking about MY list. I keep a list of new words.

I can't believe you! We're talking about how to learn new vocabulary and you came up with made-up words??
You just crack me up sometimes. :lol: :lol:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee I was just wondering the same thing :lol: :lol: Bravo TK! :D :lol: :lol:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Now i am going to have to look it up you two....just in case it is a word! That would be cute. :)
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

It's not a word, Tikay.
I looked it up already, trust me. :wink:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Here is the tikay meaning for the word "Plaves" 1.) An area of space in dimensional time. 2.) A space within a time warp where the center folds in upon itself creating a vaccum or doorway. 3.) A word used to express a place, or position, a certain spherical point, used in creation physics. 4.) A quantum space time continum.

would that do?
Of course I just made it up but that does not mean it does not exist. :lol:

http://forum.physorg.com

I am tikay as well in there.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

So...sorry to you letsjam that we go off in all sorts of directions but we do....i mean to stay on topic but it rarely works for when a new trail of thought opens up I just walk upon it.
Still i think you may get more answers if we reestablish what this topic is for here and there.

I suggest that you read dictionary's for fun I did this as a child....just randomly selecting a few words to read and hope that the knowing (the meaning) helps it stick, in my head. It appears that it worked for me, just fine. Also this can be done with the enclyclopedia.
SkyAngel

Post by SkyAngel »

Hi guys! I read your advices for Letsjam and I see it can be very useful for me :wink: So think you
Virgil

Post by Virgil »

What's the meaning of :?:

Can anyone of you guys tell the meaning of :arrow: "tikay", a word mentioned by our pal TIKAY. I've looked up in various of dictionaries but I just could not find anything related to it.

Thanks folks!
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Hi!!! Welcome to the forum. It is so much fun I am going to have to wean myself now from this. I am losing sleep. :lol:
Virgil

Post by Virgil »

Hi Tikay!

Would you be so kind to explain to me the meaning of the word tikay, which for instance, is your nickname.

Thanks!
Marcelo - Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

tikay

Post by tikay »

Hi Tikay is not in the dictionary yet...i will try to become famous if you like then you could find it in encyclopedia... :lol:
It is just my name in a couple of forums....it is the elongated version of my initals T and K....which are the shortened version of my name Tracey Kaye....(with ...faleofa hill)
so T.K. became Tikay sounds like the alphabet. so T.K. is how to say it.
thanks for caring enough to look it up!
gosh. :lol:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

SkyAngel wrote:Hi guys! I read your advices for Letsjam and I see it can be very useful for me :wink: So think you

I was welcoming you to the forum ...i didn't see there was a next page... with you marcello ( I am always doing this)....so welcome to the two of you! I am happy that you have found this fun place to learn about people and english!
:wink: \tracey/tikay
your friend!
letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by letsjam »

Heya everybody!!!! Wazzzuppp?!? Is there any new? Is there any word? Lol still discussing new words :))))))))... Good luck!!!
Virgil

Post by Virgil »

Dear Letsjam!

Would you be so kind of telling me the meaning of the word Lol you have mentioned on your above post?

Thanks very much indeed!
You guys are just great around here. I'm getting hooked on this forum!
See you guys!
letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by letsjam »

Hi Virgil.
Lol means laughing out loud. It's just a short form of it, that is using in chats and sometimes in speech.
letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by letsjam »

Hi Virgil.
Lol means laughing out loud. It's just a short form of it, that is using in chats and sometimes in speech.
letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by letsjam »

Hi Virgil.
letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by letsjam »

Hi Virgil.
letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by letsjam »

Awww, there was any mistake or what? There are 3 same posts from me! Sorrys
Virgil

Thanks a lot Lol

Post by Virgil »

It's pretty good to learn new things in this forum.
Lol thanks. Letsjam
letsjam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by letsjam »

Hey guys...how are you doing? Is there any new advices :))))) ?