EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

put ideas in sb's head

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

put ideas in sb's head

Postby ghqiuyun » Tue May 30, 2006 1:03 pm

hello!Would you please tell me what's is the meaning of "put ideas in sb's head"? How canweuse it ? Thank you !
ghqiuyun

Re: put ideas in sb's head

Postby byron » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:43 pm

ghqiuyun wrote:hello!Would you please tell me what's is the meaning of "put ideas in sb's head"? How canweuse it ? Thank you !

You have put an idea in my head by posing this question. The idea being how to answer your question in a way you can understand it.
Imagine you are talking to a friend and during the conversation you mention that having soft tyres on a car helps traction when driving, he then goes and lets some air out of his tyres because you have put the idea into his head.
byron
Gold Member

Postby tqth » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:01 pm

Put idea into sb's head means that you give someone expectations which are not likely to realized.
tqth
Silver Member

Postby byron » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:59 pm

tqth wrote:Put idea into sb's head means that you give someone expectations which are not likely to realized.

As an Englishman I assure you that such an explanation is only partially correct, the explanation I have given is more to the point. In English to "give someone expectations which are not likely to be realised" one is more likely to express this as "give someone an idea above their station"
byron
Gold Member

Thanks

Postby ghqiuyun » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:36 am

Thank you all!I am so grateful.Wish you happy!
ghqiuyun

Return to Help Each Other with English