'heckler's veto'

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

wolpertinger

'heckler's veto'

Post by wolpertinger »

I looked over the WIKI's article "heckler's veto"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler's_vetobut couldn't understand what was being said. :shock: Would you explain the term more understandably?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I don't think I understand this law well, but this is how I understand it. Let's see if my examples are right or wrong.

A heckler's veto occurs when an acting party's right to freedom of speech is curtailed due to a reacting party's behavior. The common example is that of demonstrators (reacting party) causing a speech (given by the acting party) to be terminated in order to preserve the peace. (copied)

= Danyet (acting party) has been using his right of freedom of speech to desmonstrate his knowledge towards Muslim members (reacting party) about Islam. And the Muslim members demanded him to stop, which means (reacting party) causing a speech (given by the acting party) to be terminated in order to preserve the peace.

In the United States, case law regarding the heckler's veto is mixed. Most findings say that the acting party's actions cannot be pre-emptively stopped due to fear of heckling by the reacting party, but in the immediate face of violence, authorities can ask the acting party to cease their action in order to satisfy the hecklers. (copied)

= This means Danyet has the right to evince what he knows of Islam even if the reacting party finds it unacceptable. However, if the debate goes out of control, the Administrator of this board has the right to ask Danyet to choose his words wisely.

The most well known case involving the heckler's veto is probably Feiner v. New York, handed down by the Supreme Court in 1951. Chief Justice Vinson, writing for the majority, held that police officers acted within their power in arresting a speaker if the arrest was "motivated solely by a proper concern for the preservation of order and protection of the general welfare." 340 U.S. 315. (copied)

It just means the police officers have the right to execute their power to arrest a speaker due to some reasons.
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: 'heckler's veto'

Post by byron »

wolpertinger wrote:I looked over the WIKI's article "heckler's veto"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler's_vetobut couldn't understand what was being said. :shock: Would you explain the term more understandably?
To be brief and to avoid complicated answers. It means that if a Heckler is disturbing public order then it is possible for the police to arrest him/her to prevent problems.

Somewhat simplistic answer I know but to give any more would mean an answer such as Wikepdia give.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

wow Lennye your english is soo good! Ha I didn't understand anything of that text.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Admiral wrote:wow Lennye your english is soo good! Ha I didn't understand anything of that text.
Simply because your English is so bad. That's all. :lol: :lol: