confused by these 2 words: Engineering and Technologies

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

arnoldt

confused by these 2 words: Engineering and Technologies

Post by arnoldt »

Dear Teachers:

I’m confused by these 2 words: Engineering and Technologies and sincerely hope that you can help me as following:
1. Does Engineering = Technologies?
2. If they are not the same, then can Technologies covers up for Engineering? Or should Engineering covers up for Technologies?
3. When I’m introducing myself to others as that I’m working in the Engineering job, does it include from designing to mass-production/manufacturing? Or it just simply means that I’m only doing the designing kind of work, not including the manufacturing? And same question to Technologies?
4. Does Engineering only refer to the industry of machine or mechanism; or it can also cover up to the high tech of electronic? And how about the Technologies, does it only refer to the high tech of electronic or can it also cover up anything as also including the machinery?
5. If these 2 words are not the same and represent very differently; but in fact I’m really working from designing / engineering to production and from plastic, machinery to electronic, then can I just simply say I’m doing Engineering Technologies? Or does this sound better: I’m doing Technologies Engineering? Or should I put an “and” in-between, like I’m doing Engineering & Technologies? And does it matter which word should be came in first, like should it be I’m doing Engineering & Technologies or I’m doing Technologies & Engineering, will them sound differently?

So could you please kindly help me as above, and thanks a lot for your help in advance.
ysteve

Post by ysteve »

Technology is a method to achieve a goal developed by people. It is core of the process to approach the target. It just tell you how do you apply the principle in work.But how do you complete these works, then you need engineering to do it. For example, you need civil engineerng to build houses , electrical power engineering to supply power for motor, etc. All the kinds of jobs related with the project are scopes of engineering.
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

Ysteve is right, as far as I know.

Engineering is usually referred to as the production and design of something.

Technology is commonly referred to as the application of something towards a specific goal.

For example: An Information Technology expert learns how best to apply computers and computer software within a company.

An Electrical and Computer Engineer learns to design, create and develop new computer systems.
arnoldt

Thanks a lot for your help but could you help me further

Post by arnoldt »

Thanks you very much for your help both to ysteve & jeffcox.

In fact I'm trying to learn how to name my company's English name more sense and correctly, so can you please kindly help my questions further as below:
1. can "XXX Engineering Co., Ltd." cover everything, like from designing the product to the production?
2. can I add technology in it as "XXX Engineering Technologies Co., Ltd." to be felt more high tech, because we also work with electronic product? Or should I put the "and" in-between to be more sence and correctly as ""XXX Engineering and Technologies Co., Ltd."?

So could you please kindly help me further as above, and thanks a lot in advance.