Native English Speakers! HELP! PLEASE!!!I

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Melenka

Native English Speakers! HELP! PLEASE!!!I

Post by Melenka »

I am working at my scientific work on topic “Concept KIND in the English-speaking world”. Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to go to an English-speaking country to conduct this survey there. :cry: I will be particularly thankful to those native English speakers, who will answer the question “What does KINDNESS mean to you?” The results of this survey will be analysed, the most interesting opinions will be included in my dissertation.
P.S. Dear Moderators, please do not delete this topic as a silly one! Englishclub is my last hope! :)
Melenka

Post by Melenka »

Noone wants to help? Please, write anything like "'kindness' means generosity for me", or whatever. My work is under threat of complete failure. HELP PLEASE!!!
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

May I ask if you are doing something like scientific study at university? It would be a big work. But I'm a bit confused about the topic. Are you sure it means you ONLY need to make a survey on what native English speaking people think about kindness? (Anyway, I suppose it doesn't only refer to natives.) Did your supervisor advise that? If not, you should ask him/her to be sure about it. As much as I understand your topic 'Concept KIND in English-speaking word', I think you should study some different meanings of the word 'kind', the origin of these meaning as well as the way of using them in English (in which the concept kindness is just a part of this study)

I searched this on net. I hope it might be related to your study somehow. You can view here
The concept of the "kind" originates from a literal reading of Genesis 1:12-24:
And God said, let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind … And God created great whales and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind … And God said, let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind, and it was so.
That's all I can help I'm afraid. Good luck on your study!

_Arale_
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Normally I would not reply to topics like this but it seems you are on the brink of desperation (if you’re not there already) and since I am bored right now, I decided to offer you my two cents.

From my point of view, not because I am a native English speaker, I feel kindness is an unselfish act of humanity. True kindness is to give without expectation of gain. To go out of your way in order to assist another is not only generous but virtuous and admirable. Acts of kindness shown by fellow citizens should be awarded and not taken advantage of. Unfortunately, we do not live in that world.

However, by no means do I feel kindness as an essential human trait. Being unkind does not make you any less human. Showing unconditional thoughtfulness only makes you a bigger and better person; and that in itself should make you feel better about yourself.

I hope that helps.
wellow

Post by wellow »

to me i guess it's when you do something for someone else without thinking about the consequences for yourself or at the detrement of yourself. I.e. you don't stand to benefit from the transaction.
hope that helps!
Melenka

Post by Melenka »

Arale], Yes, my work is done at the University. The meaning that you gave - that is another word, homonym, but my work is centered upon KIND as adjective describing men’s character.

Unknownsu, wellow, Thank you very much. This is exactly what I asked for.
Anymore opinions welcome!!!! To make any conclusions I need at least 100 of them[/b]