Are such plural form exist?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Awence

Are such plural form exist?

Post by Awence »

Thanks and hope someone can asnwer this for me.

Information has no plural inflection...informations unless it is used in the situation of "criminal informations"

1. May i know whether the above statement is true?

Equipment or Equipments? Food or foods?

2. i know equipment and food should never have an inflection according the traditional grammartical rules. But i m seeing more n more of their plural form. Could someone please confirm this?
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Are such plural form exist?

Post by Arale »

Awence wrote:Thanks and hope someone can asnwer this for me.

Information has no plural inflection...informations unless it is used in the situation of "criminal informations"

1. May i know whether the above statement is true?

Equipment or Equipments? Food or foods?

2. i know equipment and food should never have an inflection according the traditional grammartical rules. But i m seeing more n more of their plural form. Could someone please confirm this?
information, equipment, food are non-count nouns. Where do you see their plural forms? I'm not sure about 'criminal informationS' because I also saw it here

I always use them as uncountable nouns.

_Arale_
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I do also have difficulties with plural forms. For example I have noticed several times such an expression like "GM foods" like here - is it the only exception? Thank you Arale for help!
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Just use them in the singular and you will be correct. I wouldn't worry too much about them.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

thank you once again, I find it essential to speak and write the forms properly. People will understand you anyhow but the more gramatically correct you speak the better.

and danyet - the site you adviced is pretty good. so many tests.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

I don't know why that most of my Russian speaking friends are so concerned about speaking such perfect English! I can tell you that we in America or Australia love to hear people speak to us with a foreign accent along with grammatical mistakes. We find it very charming!