As a native speaker, should I interfere?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

roses

As a native speaker, should I interfere?

Post by roses »

Hello!
I am a native speaker of English who is new to this forum.

I think that this forum is fantastic because people can help each other with English!

Hence, how do people feel about me interfering in their English by making suggestions? Is it better for me to let people improve their English in "their own way" even if it is not always correct? After all, this forum is not here for my benefit. It is here for people who are not native speakers of English to get better. Even if people here are not using correct English, at least they are using it to help each other. If I broke that process up that would be a very bad thing.

Andrew [Melbourne, Australia]
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Welcome Rose! I'm very glad to meet you!
Janette

Speak :)

Post by Janette »

I am glad to speak with natives.

My English is a combination of British and American understandings. Sometimes I am confused by the differences.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Hi Andrew,

Please feel free to correct any mistakes I make! I usually type really fast and most times make terrible mistakes I know I wouldn't do if I paid more attention to what I type.

Thanks and welcome! 8)
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

Hi Roses, Welcome to EC!!!

I´m very pleased to have a native speaker who is willing to help us in our path to learn the Shakespeare language. About your concern, don´t worry. You said you have to let us to improve our english by ourselves, and I agree with that statement if you were my conversational teacher and we were having a face to face conversation, because is pretty normal to feel that we, as a english students, will be taken by fools if we say something wrong. Believe me, it´s very uncomfortable when you´re talking to somebody who can speak English fluently and he or she can´t understand you.

But when we are writting, well, that´s another story. It´s more relaxing when we write something because we can think better what we are trying to communicate, reducing in that way the odds to say our ideas with any kind of mistake.

Besides, allow me to ask you something: How are we going to improve our English if there is nobody who is able to correct us?

So, don´t be afraid to make any corrections. I know there are people who will appreciate your help, just like me.

Regards

P.S: If you see any mistake in what I´ve written above, please let me know...
roses

thanks again!

Post by roses »

jrkp, your English is very good. I think that your only mistake was when you said "as a English students". Since English is an adjective there you should delete the 'a'. I am very impressed with your wrtiting in that paragraph. Apart from the above mistake, its standard is close to that of a native speaker. The punctuation was good. It was fluent. I had no problems understanding any of it after one reading. This is what I mean by a reluctance to interfere; I wouldn't want to make you feel bad about something that you've written extremely well.
imagination

Post by imagination »

Hi Roses!

I just wanna say that I'm really glad you joined this forum. There aren't many native speakers here. Feel free to correct any of my mistakes! :D
I think you can help us a lot...
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

roses wrote: its standard is close to that of a native speaker.
Thank you very much, that kind of words encourage me to keep practicing my English harder than I´ve been doing it so far. I wish I could speak in that way too. :D
roses wrote: I think that your only mistake was when you said "as a English students". Since English is an adjective there you should delete the 'a'.
I know. Checking it out, I realized that I had made a mistake in that sentence. Thank you very much for correcting me. I don´t know if you´ve spoken with a native Spanish speaker, but this is one of the problems we have to deal with when we start learning English. I thought that sentence in Spanish when I wrote it.
roses wrote:This is what I mean by a reluctance to interfere; I wouldn't want to make you feel bad about something that you've written extremely well.
As I said in my last post, don´t worry about it. In my opinion, all depends on how people take the correction you have made. If they are stubborn or arrogant, you know, people who have studied in some English speaker country or have done endless courses in their countries, and after that, they compare themselves with a native speaker, of course they will take your advice in the wrong way. But if they are humble enough to recognize that they are learning, even though they can speak or write as good as a native speaker,well, they will appreciate your help as much as I do.

Regards