who/ whom ?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

who/ whom ?

Post by Vega »

Hello there. Can you tell me which sentence is correct?

1. Who are we waiting for.
2. Whom are we waiting for.

Thank you.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Who are we waiting?
For whom are we waiting? I just guess :roll:
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Hardi wrote:Who are we waiting?
For whom are we waiting? I just guess :roll:
As far as I know it's possible to say: I am waiting for you.

But how to make a question is a little bit complicated to me.

I approximately know that words like for etc. should go to the end of queastion, but as to beginning there's a little misunderstanding.

:?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: who/ whom ?

Post by Dixie »

Xkalibur wrote:Hello there. Can you tell me which sentence is correct?

1. Who are we waiting for.
2. Whom are we waiting for.

Thank you.
#1. Don't forget the question mark! ;)
ABMAC

Post by ABMAC »

The second question is correct, but the preposition "for" would not be separated from the objective "whom" in formal usage.

Although "Who" in the first question is incorrect, it would also be acceptable in most informal situations.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Thank you for your replies!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ABMAC wrote: Although "Who" in the first question is incorrect, it would also be acceptable in most informal situations.
It is? Why? :roll:
ABMAC

Post by ABMAC »

Dixie wrote:
ABMAC wrote: Although "Who" in the first question is incorrect, it would also be acceptable in most informal situations.
It is? Why? :roll:
Are you asking "why is it incorrect?" or "why would it be acceptable in informal situations?"
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

ABMAC wrote:The second question is correct, but the preposition "for" would not be separated from the objective "whom" in formal usage.

Although "Who" in the first question is incorrect, it would also be acceptable in most informal situations.
Hello. Could you tell me which of the sentences below did you mean?

1.Whom for are we waiting ?
2.For whom are we waiting?

Thank you very much in advance!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ABMAC wrote: Are you asking "why is it incorrect?" or "why would it be acceptable in informal situations?"
I am asking why "Who are you waiting for?" is incorrect.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

:? Maybe it's because we don't end a sentence with a preposition in formal writing??? However,

The often heard but misleading “rule” that a sentence should not end with a preposition is transferred from Latin, where it is an accurate description of practice. But English grammar is different from Latin grammar, and the rule does not fit English. In speech, the final preposition is normal and idiomatic, especially in questions: What are we waiting for? Where did he come from? You didn't tell me which floor you worked on. In writing, the problem of placing the preposition arises most when a sentence ends with a relative clause in which the relative pronoun (that; whom; which; whomever; whichever; whomsoever) is the object of a preposition. In edited writing, especially more formal writing, when a pronoun other than that introduces a final relative clause, the preposition usually precedes its object: He abandoned the project to which he had devoted his whole life. I finally telephoned the representative with whom I had been corresponding. If the pronoun is that, which cannot be preceded by a preposition, or if the pronoun is omitted, then the preposition must occur at the end: The librarian found the books that the child had scribbled in. There is the woman he spoke of.
ABMAC

Post by ABMAC »

Dixie, it is incorrect because "who" is the subjective form of the pronoun and "whom" is the objective form. Changing the order of the words so that the prepositional phrase "to whom" is broken doesn't change the functions of the words. In strictly formal usage, the sentence would be written; "For whom are you waiting?" or "You are waiting for whom?"
ABMAC

Post by ABMAC »

Xkalibur wrote:
ABMAC wrote:The second question is correct, but the preposition "for" would not be separated from the objective "whom" in formal usage.

Hello. Could you tell me which of the sentences below did you mean?

1.Whom for are we waiting ?
2.For whom are we waiting?

Thank you very much in advance!
My apologies for confusing you. I meant:

2. For whom are we waiting?
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Both are correct.

Post by Bambang »

As far as my knowledge, both sentences are correct.

The first one, "who are you waiting for?", is informally used.

The second one, "whow are you waiting for?", is formally used.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Thank you. :P
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

I suggest that you not even worry about the word "Whom".

You will not need to use "whom" unless you plan on speaking with the Queen of England. :D

Or unless you want to sound like a pompous ass. Most people never use the word. You may have seen me use this word in some of my posts but as Defender Of the Galaxy, I am a little looney sometimes and tend to say outrageous things.

For your information:
'For whom are you waiting.' = CORRECT BUT POMPOUS

'Who are you waiting for.' = THE WAY WE USUALLY TALK
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

danyet wrote:I suggest that you not even worry about the word "Whom".

You will not need to use "whom" unless you plan on speaking with the Queen of England. :D

Or unless you want to sound like a pompous ass. Most people never use the word. You may have seen me use this word in some of my posts but as Defender Of the Galaxy, I am a little looney sometimes and tend to say outrageous things.

For your information:

That's what I wanted to hear. Excellent :D..'Whom' if it's the Queen of Englad,..otherwise I'm a pompous ass.

:D..You explain better than any grammar book I have.
ABMAC

Post by ABMAC »

danyet wrote:I suggest that you not even worry about the word "Whom".

For your information:

Why post if you're going to discourage the use of CORRECT English?

There are people here who don't want to speak English like an ignorant American.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

It has nothing to do with American versus British English. Even the average Pom doesn't use "Whom". And if you use the word in Australia or Canada or New Zealand or South Africa or any other place that speaks English, you had better be speaking to a stuffed shirt snob or you will get funny looks.
There is no point making English more complicated to learn by insisting that the average learner use "whom." We will understand them just fine if they use "Who."

But if you want to start a thread called How To Talk "Proper" So You Can Infiltrate Buckingham Palace With A Camera Phone, be my guest!
ABMAC

Post by ABMAC »

danyet wrote:It has nothing to do with American versus British English. Even the average Pom doesn't use "Whom". And if you use the word in Australia or Canada or New Zealand or South Africa or any other place that speaks English, you had better be speaking to a stuffed shirt snob or you will get funny looks.
There is no point making English more complicated to learn by insisting that the average learner use "whom." We will understand them just fine if they use "Who."

But if you want to start a thread called How To Talk "Proper" So You Can Infiltrate Buckingham Palace With A Camera Phone, be my guest!
If you think an education automatically makes someone a "stuffed shirt snob," you are obviously very ignorant, as are the majority of "average" English speakers in English-speaking countries. They may give you "funny looks" if you use "whom," but they'll understand what you're saying. Their lack of education is irrelevant here. The goal here is to teach proper English, not to make it less complicated by corrupting it or "dumbing it down" for people who want to learn it correctly.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

The goal here is to teach proper English,
And this goal was accomplished in my original post. Now Xkalibur can choose which version he wants to use for himself.
theone

Post by theone »

Hi everybody.In short,"who" can only be used to make a subject question.As an example,who are they? But about "whom" can only be used to make an object question.For example,whom did you call yesterday?
We use "whom" to ask about the person who you call.
Thank you for your cares
Last edited by theone on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

:P...
Awence

Post by Awence »

For whom are you waiting for is correct because "whom", one of its usage is to replace an object.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I didn't made an effort to read the whole 3 pages - there are all so funny, especially the second one :D
weird, but here for the my whole life I was told that whom is out of usage in English speaking world... so many men, so many minds :lol: