Any Spanish speaker out there?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

amaya

Any Spanish speaker out there?

Post by amaya »

Hello!

I don't know wheteher there is a specific forum for this kind of questions. If you know of any please let me know. Anyway, I would appreciate any help in translating these sentences into English;

- ¡Déjale la muñeca a tu hermana!
- Ponle los zapatos al bebé.

Thanks a lot
dreamyxo

Re: Any Spanish speaker out there?

Post by dreamyxo »

amaya wrote:Hello!

I don't know wheteher there is a specific forum for this kind of questions. If you know of any please let me know. Anyway, I would appreciate any help in translating these sentences into English;

Thanks a lot
I'm not a native Spanish speaker but I took Spanish in school for years so I'm rusty I'd like to attempt this for fun. I'll translate the words I know. Hopefully a Spanish speaker can answer.

muneca = wrist
a tu hermana= your sister
los zapatos= shoes
al bebe= the baby
poner= to put

My guess

Let go of your sister's wrist!
Put on the baby's shoes.

You could try this site http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr It wasn't helpful for Dejale or Ponle but I found translated muneca for me.
Practice your English and get paid! find out how here http://www.mylot.com/?ref=dreamy1
amaya

Post by amaya »

I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. Sorry for that. The meaning of the Spanish sentences is no problem to me. What I need is someone who understands those sentences in Spanish and can translate them into English for me.

The translation of the first sentence (¡Déjale la muñeca a tu hermana! -> Let go of your sister's wrist!) is not all right, since in this case "muñeca" means "doll". Of course what I need is the structure, not the particular words. That is to say, I want the English equivalent of the structure:

"dejar" + pronominal indirect object + direct object + "a" + indirect object.

"Dejar", in this case, means "prestar".

As for the second sentence (Ponle los zapatos al bebé -> Put on the baby's shoes), is it not ambiguous? i.e. is it clear, appart from a commonsense assumption, that it is the baby, rather than the second person singular (i.e. "you"), who will get his shoes on?

It would be great if you could also translate the following sentence. It is the slogan of a Health Ministry campaign to get youngsters to use condoms. The structure is similar to that of the second sentence: "Póntelo, pónselo".

Many thanks
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

amaya wrote:Hello!

Thanks a lot
Tricky questions, amaya! :lol:

How about... "Lend the doll to your sister", although it sounds rather forced to me. Another attempt would be "Let your sister have the doll", which I like best.

As for the second one, "Put on the babies' shoes" sounds weird in the sense you mentioned, but it's the only option that comes to my mind. I will think it over and let you know if I come across a more suitable translation, which I'm sure there is.

For any further translations, you can check Wordreference, its diccionaries along with its forums are just great.
amaya

Post by amaya »

Thanks a lot to you both. If you come across something better, that will be great. You know, I've got two daughters and I try to speak only English at home. As you can imagine, I have to use those structures all of the time. For the time being, I will use your suggested structures.

Amaya