grammar stuck

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

ladyfirsttdbcn

grammar stuck

Post by ladyfirsttdbcn »

Could somebody guys tell me the correct choice of this question:
1. Drinking water-------excessive enamel of teeth to become brittle and to chip off, leaving a stained or mottled effect.
(A) containing
(B) in which containing
(C) contains
(D) that is contained
( In my oppinion, the correct answer is "C"( contains) but actually the answer key claims that "A" is the correct one)
BUt I couldn't figure out why. If somebody knows the answer please tell me.
THanks for evererything^^!
ladyfirsttdbcn

Re: grammar stuck

Post by ladyfirsttdbcn »

well, Thank you alots ohad^^
however I still doubt about the answer ;I think that the correct one should still be "C" instead of A because if "A" is the answer so there's no verb in the main sentence, which is impossible in standard academic english. there should be " A"( contains) so that the verb appears in the sentence.
The sentence should be like this: " Drinking water contains excessive enamel of teeth to become brittle and to chip off, (which is) leaving s stained or mottled effect".
Anyway, I really appreciate your kind attention for my porblem. Thanks again^^ {-;
1. Drinking water-------excessive enamel of teeth to become brittle and to chip off, leaving a stained or mottled effect.
(A) containing
(B) in which containing
(C) contains
(D) that is contained
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

ohad wrote:
ladyfirsttdbcn wrote:Could somebody guys tell me the correct choice of this question:
(A) containing
(B) in which containing
(C) contains
(D) that is contained
( In my oppinion, the correct answer is "C"( contains) but actually the answer key claims that "A" is the correct one)
BUt I couldn't figure out why. If somebody knows the answer please tell me.
THanks for evererything^^!
I'm not a teacher of English, but I'll try to help you out on this one.
The answer is 'A' because 'containing' here stands for participial clause/phrase :one with a participial, used to give more information about a noun, a verb or a whole sentence, e.g. 'Hoping for another chance, she apologized.''He went home, disappointed by the exam resolt (Oxford student's dictionary).'In your case 'drinking water' would be a noun phrase and 'containing' would be the above participial form which gives more info about 'drinking water'(=noun phrase).Drinking water, what drinking water?Those containing excessive...
I admire u, ohad......This is a noun phrase, u can know that when u see the correct answer is A....U use C when u use Drinking water as a Pronoun....(It)
Namnack

Post by Namnack »

To me, the whole sentence doesn't follow . It would appear that a bit is missing, it doesn't really make any sense the way it is now no matter which option you take. Did you leave out a bit of the sentence?
Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light.