am I making mistakes?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

sanketp

am I making mistakes?

Post by sanketp »

I wrote a sentence using Microsoft Word, and was told that the grammar was wrong.
Can anyone confirm or refute it?

My version: "I have been exposed to works ranging from genetics, biochemistry, cell biology to virology"
Word recommended version "I have been exposed to works ranging from genetics, biochemistry, AND cell biology to virology"

Do I REALLY need to add the "and" ??
Also, any revision of the sentence per se?

Thank you
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: am I making mistakes?

Post by denvinbo »

sanketp wrote:I wrote a sentence using Microsoft Word, and was told that the grammar was wrong.
Can anyone confirm or refute it?

My version: "I have been exposed to works ranging from genetics, biochemistry, cell biology to virology"
Word recommended version "I have been exposed to work(not works) ranging from genetics, biochemistry, AND cell biology to virology"

Do I REALLY need to add the "and" ??
Also, any revision of the sentence per se?

Thank you
you can add and or not, it's up to you............ :-D
buttonwillow

Re: am I making mistakes?

Post by buttonwillow »

I believe the correction to "works" is right.

Regarding the use of the word "range", normally it means you are describing extremes, in which case the word "to" is right. For example, " At the Mexican market,I sampled foods ranging from bland tortillas to hot peppers."

But in your sentence, you are not trying to make comparisons, but merely show how many different things you have read about. In casual speech, you can get away with the sentence as you have constructed it, because people understand this. The "Word" program doesn't understand this and it is trying to fix the sentence. In my opinion, it has made the best fix it can, but the result is not satisfactory.