How to improve vocabulary

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

hermit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: How to improve vocabulary

Post by hermit »

hi karisegraves - i'm an english speaker with spanish as a second language.
when learning spanish i found it really helpful to watch movies in english
with spanish subtitles. helpful and enjoyable, too.

what is your native language?

hermit
ETutor
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ETutor »

Watching movies in English is a great way to improve vocabulary. Another way I recommend for my students is to listen to English podcasts on the web. There are some great ones at the BBC or at NPR.org. There are lots of interesting programs to listen to that will give you exposure to new vocabulary. Click here to link to NPR Podcasts.

Have fun!
rando

Post by rando »

Reading, is one of the basics in improving your vocabulary. But I have found out that there are several techniques in boosting up your vocabulary aside from reading alone, like playing word games or using pictures associated with words. Check this site out for more of these techniques and more, http://www.vocabularybuilder.info/ since I have derived useful pointers from this site in building up my vocabulary like you.
luvlearning

Post by luvlearning »

Hi:
This article might be helpful to you. It offers a few suggestions for improving your English without reading. You can download it for free at the site listed below. Hope this is helpful to you!

http://www.soundsmarternow.com/8.html
jamesmartyn

Post by jamesmartyn »

Things to consider when increasing your vocabulary

* The more you read, the richer your vocabulary will become.
* Just knowing the definition of a word does not indicate you understand it.
* You must also understand it in context.
* Knowing what a word means is connected to the background that the word is used within.
* Words that are used in speaking or writing (ie “expressive vocabulary”) often require a greater understanding than those used in listening and reading (ie “receptive vocabulary”) (Allen, 2006).
rojbanks

Post by rojbanks »

HI !!! i'm a English learning student . as u know , there r no limits of age to be educate..
i want became expert in english language. good communication skills in english make yr
works easily done. it surely improves yr personality as well. but although i know english grammar well, i could not get a grip over English.,due to lack of vocabulary. do u have any suggestion for that?... i'm waiting.....
fastforward

Post by fastforward »

Hi to all.
Improvement in vocabulary is the basic need for an English learner. The person should try newspapers, radio or television talk shows. While reading newspapers or magazines, person should underline the new spelling and should write it there or in separate sheet of paper. At the end of the week he/she should recall all of them. Person can also take one topic randomly of his/her interest and try to speak whatever he/she likes. In that way a person come to know about the command over English. What you people do for the same. Are you trying some other method then please tell me.
minerals
JANYISHIN

Post by JANYISHIN »

More back some of the words you do not understand.
Every day with a little bit of words.
This can increase the amount of your vocabulary.
Refueling!
I wish you success.
ETutor
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ETutor »

Another interesting and different way to gain exposure to more English vocabulary is to watch some of the varied presentations available at http://www.ted.com. My students have found this to be a great source for varied and interesting lessons in English. In addition, you can gain knowledge of timely issues of the day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love being an ESL tutor! It is always fun and interesting!
nguyenthanh

Post by nguyenthanh »

We can learn vocabulary through pictures. On the other hand, when we learn some vocabularies, we should construct a sentence containing those ones immediately to not to be forget.