"try and do" versus "try to do"

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

vaughnbusch

"try and do" versus "try to do"

Post by vaughnbusch »

Can someone tell me what the rule is for using statements such as "try and fix" instead of using "try to fix"? Thanks
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: "try and do" versus "try to do"

Post by Joe »

While "try and do" is technically not correct (it doesn't mean what you are trying to say*), it is nevertheless idiomatic and you will hear and see it used by native English speakers all the time. It is also commonly found in English learning course books.

* "I'm going to try and win" literally = "I'm going to try and I'm going to win" - which is not what you mean :-|
vaughnbusch

Post by vaughnbusch »

Thanks for the quick lesson. So could we consider this proper grammar? Or are there specific sentences where you example of “try and win” is correct but others such as “try and do” would be considered incorrect? Thank for the input.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

"Try and do" is nonstandard English, but I use it all the time, as do (virtually) all native speakers. "Try and do" is idiomatic, which means that it's the "normal" way that native speakers talk (even if it's technically poor grammar or illogical or nonsense).

However, if I were writing something formal, or wanted to be particularly correct, I would use "try to do". But then I'm old-fashioned.

You can find "try and do" in English course books, but that doesn't make it "proper" in the sense that you're asking about.
Or are there specific sentences where your example of “try and win” is correct but others such as “try and do” would be considered incorrect?
Firstly, just to clarify, I make no distinction between "try and do" and "try and win". They are just examples. Secondly, it's not that "try and do" would be incorrect in a specific sentence. It would be incorrect in a specific context (for example, formal writing).