Article Test 1

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Article Test 1

Post by Aikuzo »

I guess I better test what I learned from nouns and determiners before I move on to preposition - so here goes.

Instruction: Write either a, an, the, or X for no determiner necessary.

The earliest examples of an art are found in X caves and on X rocks. In 1940, teenagers in Lascaux, France, accidentally discovered an important example of cave art. They discovered the entrance to the cave and explored it. They saw murals on the walls of the cave. Since then, many other caves with an art have been found in X France.
Pls correct any errors you see on my writings on: nouns, tenses :)

"Practice makes perfect!" xD
Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Article Test 1

Post by Aikuzo »

Let me edit this a bit w/ these new information I just got:
"The Arts," countable noun, means literature, dance, painting, music, poetry, sculpture, etc. Example sentence: Some people think the government should help support the arts.

"Art," non count noun, is the product of the disciplines above. Example sentence: That collector donated a lot of art to the museum.

So I think it should be:
The earliest examples of X art are found in X caves and on X rocks. In 1940, teenagers in Lascaux, France, accidentally discovered an important example of cave art. They discovered the entrance to the cave and explored it. They saw murals on the walls of the cave. Since then, many other caves with X art have been found in X France.

Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Aikuzo »

I guess I better test what I learned from nouns and determiners before I move on to the preposition - so here goes. (or "to prepositions")

Lol.

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Aikuzo wrote:The earliest examples of X art are found in X caves and on X rocks. In 1940, teenagers in Lascaux, France, accidentally discovered an important example of cave art. They discovered the entrance to a cave and explored it. They saw murals on the walls of the cave. Since then, many other caves with X art have been found in X France.
:ok:

to prepositions :ok:
Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Aikuzo »

The earliest examples of X art are found in X caves and on X rocks. In 1940, teenagers in Lascaux, France, accidentally discovered an important example of cave art. They discovered the entrance to a cave and explored it. They saw murals on the walls of the cave. Since then, many other caves with X art have been found in X France.

Is it because they are not talking about a specific cave yet? So if I make it like:
In 1940, teenagers in Houston, Texas, accidentally discovered an important example of cave art in Houston cave. They discovered the entrance to the cave and explored it.

--------
Btw, is a/an OR the interchangeable on some cases? Like on my question above, could both correct?
- Is it because they are not talking about a specific cave yet?
- Is it because they are not talking about the specific cave yet?

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Aikuzo wrote:In 1940, teenagers in Houston, Texas, accidentally discovered an important example of cave art in Houston cave. They discovered the entrance to the cave and explored it.
This is correct, except that I think it should be "a Houston cave". I assume that "Houston cave" is not a name (I assume this because "cave" is not capitalized). The only way this could be correct without "a" is if the cave is called "Houston Cave".
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Aikuzo wrote:Btw, is a/an OR the interchangeable on some cases? Like on my question above, could both correct?
- Is it because they are not talking about a specific cave yet?
- Is it because they are not talking about the specific cave yet?
In the specific case of your specific question, yes, both might be appropriate.