podcast

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

podcast

Post by Tukanja »

This is a part of a podcast I came across on the Internet
Goodbye. I’ll see you soon. Yeah, I promise. I love you too.

David has just finished his talking over phone to his parents whom he hadn't neither seen nor heard for two years.

SARAH (sister)
Well? What did they say?

DAVID
My mother said she was glad that I’m okay. She said she was happy to hear my voice. She told me that she’s been very worried.

ANNE
What about dad? What did he say?

DAVID
He said he was very angry, but that he forgives me, and he told me that he loves me.

ANNE
Of course he loves you. He’s your father!

Shouldn't it has been said like below

She told me that she'd been very worried.
He said he'd been very angry, but that he forgives me, and he told me that he loves me.

Thanks
hermit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: podcast

Post by hermit »

"she'd been..." is correct.

In this context, "he'd been angry" = "he was angry". The subtle difference is "he'd been
angry" means that he is no longer angry; "He was angry" means that at the time he
was still angry (but apparently forgiving, as well).
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: podcast

Post by Tukanja »

Thank you Hermit!

In addition I must say that I am sorry but I have additional questions

1. He said he was very angry, but that he forgives me, and he told me that he loves me.
2. He said that he had been very angry but now he was forgiving me and he also told me that he loved me.

Is the sentence number 2 absolutely correct? If not, please correct it.

My problem mostly was with this sentence below which you didn't analyse in your first post.

My mother said she was glad that I’m okay. She said she was happy to hear my voice. She told me that she’s been very worried.

The she's been very worried., I read like She has been very worried.

I think that there's to be she was very worried or she had been very worried or even she was being very worried but ., but not she has been very worried.

Please tell me is my opinion correct, not correct at all or all ways are possible.

Especially if the present perfect's possible in the sentence please explain the point.