Is "right up through and cross over" are old words ?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

nhatruc

Is "right up through and cross over" are old words ?

Post by nhatruc »

Dear all.
I read following passage of an Australian man, but I havn't understood his two phrases.
'Cross over' and 'right up through'.
The passage is:
It is a new frontier, and there are old, traditional forms of crime being committed electronically, and via computers and the internet, but there are also new crime types emerging.
Electronic crime really does cross over a whole range of different crime types.
You can imagine stalking offences that may be facilitated via email, harassment, threatening emails, small-scale fraud offences, right up through to large-scale frauds committed via the internet
I have guessed 'Cross over' is change from one type to another type.
And 'right up through' is similar even.

So I rewrite above passage like this:

It is a new frontier, and there are old, traditional forms of crime being committed electronically, and via computers and the internet, but there are also new crime types emerging.
Electronic crime really does change a whole range of different crime types to another crime type.
You can imagine stalking offences that may be facilitated via email, harassment, threatening emails, small-scale fraud offences, even to large-scale frauds committed via the internet.
Tuan

Re: Is "right up through and cross over" are old words ?

Post by Tuan »

Hi Truc.
I think your thinking about this passage is right. But I think, for sure, you should be waiting to receive more another ideas from other member of this site. Ah, the tittle must be "Are 'right up through' and 'cross over' old words" . Never mind, I can read and understand what you write.
Good luck
Regard
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Is "right up through and cross over" are old words ?

Post by Joe »

nhatruc wrote:Electronic crime really does cross over a whole range of different crime types.

You can imagine stalking offences that may be facilitated via email, harassment, threatening emails, small-scale fraud offences, right up through to large-scale frauds committed via the internet[/i].
Electronic crime really does cover|include a whole range of different crime types.

You can imagine stalking offences that may be facilitated via email, harassment, threatening emails, small-scale fraud offences, all the way up to large-scale frauds committed via the internet[/i].