EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

constructing a sentence using suggest

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

constructing a sentence using suggest

Postby jasper » Tue May 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Hello

Are there any grammar errors in this paragraph? thank you

Thank you for your e-mail. I would suggest that I do the photocopying of all Mr. John's statements and Mary can do the photocopying of Mr. Xavier's statements. That way, we can do the work efficiently.
jasper
Silver Member

Re: constructing a sentence using suggest

Postby hermit » Tue May 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Sounds good , Jasper.
hermit
Silver Member

Postby PureGuava » Thu May 27, 2010 5:35 pm

jasper wrote:Hello

Are there any grammar errors in this paragraph? thank you

Thank you for your e-mail. I would suggest that I do the photocopying of all Mr. John's statements and Mary can do the photocopying of Mr. Xavier's statements. That way, we can do the work efficiently.

Thank you for you e-mail.

I would like to suggest that I photocopy all of Mr. John's statements and Mary photocopies all of Mr. Xavier's statements.

I believe this will maximize our efficiency.
PureGuava

Postby YourUSApal » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:26 am

That is even better, because it is shorter. Many words, like "photocopy" that began as nouns are being used as verbs informally. Eventually the dictionaries catch up and add that usage to the definition. One recent evolution is the word "medal" used in discussing Olympic medals. Only in the past one or two Olympics did people start saying "he medalled" as shorthand for "he received a medal." It doesn't sound right as first, but as the usage catches on it becomes acceptable.
YourUSApal

Return to Help Each Other with English