weird or bizarre

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

TwoFourThree

weird or bizarre

Post by TwoFourThree »

Hi all,

Nice to see you. I'm new here.

I would like to know a difference between weird and bizarre.

Let me show you an example.

Lady Gaga always wear weird/bizarre dress, but I like her clothes and accessories.
I think "weird" gives a more negative impression than "bizarre" does, so that using weird in the sentence may be a bit odd.

What do you think?

Thank you in advance!
clevermae

Re: weird or bizarre

Post by clevermae »

They just have the same meaning but different in other way of how you are going to use it that matches in your sentences.
TwoFourThree

Post by TwoFourThree »

clevermae wrote:They just have the same meaning but different in other way of how you are going to use it that matches in your sentences.
Thank you for the answer, but I did not follow you perhaps because of my poor comprehension ability. Could you be more specific if you do not mind.

"weird" is often heard in TV shows etc., and they mostly express something negatively with this word. So, I can not help but thinking "weird" describes something negative. That is what I thought.

Thank you
jmio

Post by jmio »

More negative<--------------------neutral-------------------->More positive

Weird, bizarre, strange, odd, different, unconventional, creative

This is somewhat subjective. From some people and in some situations most of these words could be used without negative connotations.

In Lady Gaga's case I'd also try "unique", which has a somewhat different meaning but fits her very well, and is generally a positive word.
TwoFourThree

Post by TwoFourThree »

Thanks jmio,

I haven't visited here for a while. The information is actually useful. You feel "weird" is the worst. I realized that there are many more choices which could be better than those two.
TutorVanessa

Post by TutorVanessa »

I agree. Weird tends to have more of a negative connotation (implication or tone). Bizzare means the same but with less negativity.

You should also check out the thesaurus to find synonyms (alternative or equivalent words). Just type in the word and you will see the meaning and other similar words.