EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

The "stops" in the middle of the sentence.

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

The "stops" in the middle of the sentence.

Postby Aikuzo » Fri May 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Hello,

I'm stopped working on my grammar for about a year but now I'm back.: ) Got some question again:

"So lets say you are trying to research to be a very powerful knight... first find out what a powerful knight looks like."

I'm kind of confuse about what should I do whenever I wrote sentence that involve that "stop" kind of thing like in this sentence the one after the word "knight". Normally I use "..." whenever there's a stop but when I write article I think if I use it a lot it kinda messed up what my article looks like. Can I just go ahead and write:

"So lets say you are trying to research to be a very powerful knight. First Find out what a powerful knight looks like"

Or can I just go straight like "So lets say you are trying to research to be a very powerful knight first find out what a powerful knight looks like" and still consider this as grammatically correct?
Aikuzo
Gold Member

Re: The "stops" in the middle of the sentence.

Postby Josef » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Those stops are called ellipsis
http://www.englishclub.com/writing/punc ... lipsis.htm

When you quote something you should not change it. If you change it, it is no longer a quote.

Your first sentence is correct grammatically (except for the missing apostrophe in let's) but the second one is outrageous!!!
Josef
Protector of the Boards
Protector of the Boards

Return to Help Each Other with English