EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Grammar is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Grammar is a waste of time.

Postby TalkingPoint » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:13 pm

We don't need to learn English grammar to speak English. Grammar is a waste of time.
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

grammer's natutal in your mouth under the tongue

Postby sinosly » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:17 am

you may consider grammer unnecessary,yet it's everywhere in yiourmind among your words.
sinosly

unnecessary

Postby innocent055 » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:30 pm

grammar,a detailed grammar is unnecessry for learners.it is making you more confused while writig and speaking.for example ı've been studying grammar for several years..however,I cannot speak and write very well although my grammar notes are high.I'm an english learner in an üniversity...
innocent055

Grammar is necessary

Postby member » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:49 pm

Grammar is necessary to express him/herself correctly. In fact, to communicate in any language we need to form expressions by combining words according to its grammar rules. A word is in its turn just a combination of letters that has a sense according to the dictionary. Therefore, like we cannot obtain a word that has a sense by combining any set of letters, we cannot as well obtain a significant expression by combining words in any manner we want.

It is true that people can usually understand what we mean eventhough we don't respect grammar; but this is not a proof of our ability to express correctly, it is a proof of the intelligence of others, who are able to deduce what we mean from our erroneous expressions (like those of this message, which, I'm sure, won't prevent you of understanding what I would like to express!).

Abdelaziz Bouroumi
:) Rabat, Morocco

Grammar

Postby roberto correia » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:28 pm

I ever believed that grammar and lecture are necessary to understand what do you needs to win challenges . otherwise the manner to think about you speak to be missunderstood is easy! how turn able our conversation ? we have to obtain as less as the right way to find source in grammar
Last edited by roberto correia on Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roberto correia

grammar

Postby Iris » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:43 pm

Hi,

I agree. Grammar is very important in English. This is basic to have clear understanding in English.

But, I find it is difficult to learn and understanding Grammar . I alway make mistake in grammar . Then, it is always make a receiver will not understand , confuse or misunderstanding what I talk .

On the other hand , it is comfortable and easy to understand when I see a goods essay in which is correct grammer .

Could you advise how to learn grammer and beginning interesting? Thanks.

:wink: Iris
Iris

grammar is a waste of time

Postby member111 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:46 pm

grammar is quite essential in my idea. if you have to learn the language that isn't your native language, don't avoid it.
it doesn't matter if you just want to speak, but if you have to write it is a big deal.
learn and try to use it, you will find it is a piece of cake, believe me. :wink:
member111

interest in grammar

Postby Iris » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 pm

This is great encouragement. Thank you for your advice. I found English more interest . No more dull . (especial in Grammar )

Although my English is not enough, I will keep learning and try to use . I do belive you. I will find it is a piece of cake and interest in English. I will find more treasure. Thanks. ..... :lol:
Iris

Is Grammar important

Postby costadina » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:51 pm

[I believe that grammar is important. It is needed in order for a language to make sense, and for others to understand what we're talking about. But it isn't everything! There are students who know the grammar rules "by heart" but can't speak or write English. I beleive that you need both grammar and vocabulary in order to communicate. I also feel that grammar is inseperable from vocabulary. :ideab][/b]
costadina

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:44 am

:lol: I don't think so. Grammar is a great thing. Grammar mistakes lead to misunderstanding. but I don't watn to talk about grammar I want to talk about everything you like. my E-mail kozlov1979@mail.ru but most interesting is car tuning. Glad to hear from anybody.

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion