EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

International Communication. Why English?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:00 am

Why not? :?:

Why English ?

Postby A french girl » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:15 pm

:D Hello everybody!
I live in "la Réunion" ( it's an island in the Indian ocean) and I personally think that everyone should learn english because it's an intenational language very used in all the World. But I learn german and spanish too and I think that we should learn other languages as english too because we can't forget that there are a lot of languages spoken in the World for exemple chinese which should be very useful ! So the good solution consists in learning the most of languages that we can do !
I'm sorry if I've done mistakes because I don't speak english very well but I hope that you see more or less what I mean...

:) Goodbye :)
A french girl

nah

Postby moi_la_debile » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:41 pm

hahahahaha
moi_la_debile

International Communication. Why English?

Postby galina » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:51 am

English is known in most countries in the world. And, it difficult to imagine what else language can impose the role of the multinational one.
Majority of people are most likely to learn English as yeh most popuilar language. I think there is no alternative for English.
galina

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:28 pm

English will be defeated sooner or later :twisted: :evil:

English as a second language

Postby Pirate » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:58 pm

International communication with English? YES if you are talking about sharing a second language. All nations will absolutely keep their own languages alive and growing FOREVER:!:

English has some couples of advantages to be chosen as the language for communicating between people around the world. It already has a great number of speakers, not only native speakers from Britain, USA, Australia, New Zealand or Singapore. There are also many countries where English is one of their official languages like India, Pakistan, South Africa or Canada. Because of that foundation, more and more people are learning English. Further more, all the newest discoveries together with new terms and concepts are described and propagated in English, whereas the human's biggest and most widely used library, also the most convenient source of information -the internet- is mainly in English.

Yes, some opinions are very right to show one reason that England and the USA are two of the world's leading developed countries and obviously they have sweeping affection on others. I don't think their economy -which is considered the most important spearhead of a country- can easily go down in the future.

But i don't totally agree with the historical reason written above which gave the English language its present standing in the world today. English used to be forced to learn in the settlements of British and American empires. So do you remember the countries that had to fight for their independence including the freedom to speak our own language? Let's take an example with my country Vietnam. Depending on our well-known history with many struggles against big evaders, we have some generations with fluency in Chinese and French. Many old Vietnamese also know Russian very well because of our good relationship with Russia. BUT nowadays, young people CHOOSE ENGLISH. I don't deny that maybe the reason is that English is taught here for small pupils. But youngsters can easily choose another languages because they are attractive and sound better than English such as French, Spanish, Italian or even complicated Japanese. Actually the young people do that. The fact is still the same : English is used most :!:

So why should we choose English? In my opinion, English is easier than quite a lot other languages for all of us to learn. For example the conjugation is simpler than French and it doesn't have feminine and masculine words. It is also being simplified to be even more simpler. Many words can be used with different functions (verb, noun, adj, adv...) in the unique form. Anyway it is still a natural language so it is more beautiful than artificial ones like Esperanto which is actually less complicated.

If you still don't like or don't know why so many people learning English, :idea: :arrow: plz visit LEARNING ENGLISH forum to see how actively the world is learning this cool language. :wink:
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby birrel » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:23 am

"For example the conjugation is simpler than French and it doesn't have feminine and masculine words. It is also being simplified to be even more simpler."

As a Spanish-speaker, Italian is much easier than English for me. Moreover, there are lot of languages, like Japanese, which has no genders and conjugation at all.

Take care
birrel

Postby kino » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:38 am

from my point of view, English is comparatively easier to learn.
And also, because of the economic and political powerfulness of British Nation in the past, this language had been brought to the world, so we may say language/culture can only be wheeled by power(economic/cultural/political,etc)
live to suffer, live to endure
kino

Postby kino » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:41 am

so we may say, language is imposed by powerfulness
live to suffer, live to endure
kino

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion