EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

International Communication. Why English?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby strange » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:07 am

hi all
i thinhk this subjest was too old. Why i must study english meantimwe my friend play a game. there is only reason: english is international language. why? forget it!! why don't we talk about something such as: what level you got or, why my neighbouring always smile when i see her.....so on.
strange

Postby Arale » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:04 pm

I like English and England so I think English is the best choice .It is a global language . I hope I could come England where I could speak English with native ones .

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby birrel » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:44 pm

I hate the English. They are posh
birrel

Postby Arale » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:39 pm

Not all of them !However, the English Royal family has so many scandals.I like Dianna princess.

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:34 am

Arale wrote:Not all of them !However, the English Royal family has so many scandals.I like Dianna princess.

_Arale_

Yup, not all of them. You can't base your opinions on one or two persons you've met, birrel. That's stereotype. By the way, I like English too. At least I don't have to remember the sex genders for things like inanimate objects. That's nonsense to me, no offense.

Postby maryemily » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:40 pm

but, is this a choice? or is this related to the American Imperialism.......financial an technological superiority....?
maryemily
Silver Member

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:25 pm

maryemily wrote:but, is this a choice? or is this related to the American Imperialism.......financial an technological superiority....?

Long before American economy got strong English was already used in some part of the world due to English colonization. Nowaday English is used more than other languages (well, second most language is used after Chinese) for international communication because British had and maybe still has many colonies that speak English, American has a strong economy that most of people want to do businesses with. Therefore, people speak English to be able to do business with them. If you have noticed, Spanish, French, and Chinese are used widely also. It's not just English.
Business is a hard-core competitive field, you have to do anything to satisfy your clients. If they want something in their language, you have to translate your products, ideas, memos, etc to their language. You can't just use English and tell them if they don't understand you, it's their problem. If you do that, you'll lose a business. My boyfriend works for a translation company. They try to translate everything in business to certain language that their clients demand. Thus, although America has a strong business, we still need people from other countries to do business with us and we have to do our best to satisfy them. We have people who can speak several languages or tools that the clients can understand the products in their own language. It makes them feel more comfortable.
For personal used, for an example, I speak Vietnamese, you speak your language, we both don't understand each other but if we learn a certain language in common, why don't we use that to communicate? It can be anything, don't have to be particularly English. If I knew French and so did you, we both could speak French to each other instead of English, right?
Overall, the choice is yours.

Postby maryemily » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:14 pm

but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....
maryemily
Silver Member

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:29 am

maryemily wrote:but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....

Not totally true. If you compare it to French then English doesn't sound as nice as French. Why would the French choose to something less nice over something is nice? In fact, most French people don't like to speak English based on a tight relationship that they have with England in history. They speak English just for business and other international relations. If a country has people speak French, they would speak French instead of English to those people. My cousins who speak French and English speak English to us since they don't know Vietnamese and we don't know French. English is the only language that we have in common. They speak French to grownups who can speak French in my family. And they also change back to French if they know the person they're speaking with can speak French.
By the way, when was France the most powerful country? They've lost every single damn war. When were they powerful? Show me the timeline when they were because I can't find it in the history timeline.

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion