EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

International Communication. Why English?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby GiddyGad » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:11 pm

authorityquery wrote:I think english has been used like an international language for along time . And it's Ok I like it very much even my conditions 's poor. But noproblem, importance you want to study English.
English 's stiill accepted in the world and maybe in the future, who knows, international languages next 50 years.
Thanks.

English became international only after 1945, after the WW2, when American soldiers appeared in Europe and Far East. There's no wonder: it's simpler to teach a foreign language to local folk than to soldiers.

The popularity of the English language will fade away like any other international language of the Past: Greek, Latin, Arab, French, Spanish, German, Russian... The list is endless. To cut it short, it's catching but it'll pass.

So far it is popular and more advantageous for non-native speakers than for native speakers: it gives non-natives an opportunity to see the world with the eyes of another culture; and it deprives natives of the necessity to understand other cultures....
GiddyGad
Gold Member

international communication

Postby keling » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:13 pm

language is a tool of communication

the more the population , the more popular is their language

english is an ancient language in the world for the long history

of the country .furthermore , the britian has colonized many

countries in middle 19century it's language is inevitable

transport to those countries which been colonized by it
keling
Silver Member

Postby sunnyni » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:27 am

There are too many reasons forEnglish to be a global language.

From the history, UK is the first colonial contry , they brought English into others countries around it during the aggression. It was a chance for English to spead abroad.
From the technology, so many high techinal issues ,reports are written in english. If we want to study it , we must master English. For UK and USA are two leader in the scienece and tchnology. And i wondered why they are the leader in the science and tchnology , i believed hisorical aggression is the vital factor.
From the economy, UK and USA accelerate the economy went up. Now the UK and USA will increase their points for the economy increase. So they started to invest in other countries,where they can find more low-cost laboure and material. This is the second chance to spread English , lead english to be a global language. why UK and USA can accelerate the economy development, I believe it is hisorical aggression is vital factor too.

So , in one word , It is historical reason made English into common use.
sunnyni

Postby Pixie » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:37 pm

English ain't that 'easy' although people keep saying that, they're wrong. When I first started off with learning english, i told myself " damn, t'is rather easy ". When you got basics, it becomes more complicated, because english vocabulary is imo endless.
Pixie

Postby Rui » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:59 pm

i agree with all the things that have been said until now, but please don't change the internacional language now, i'm making a big effort to handle with english 8)
Rui
Platinum Member

Postby GiddyGad » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:09 pm

hehehe,

Don't worry :lol:

Noone's gonna displace English being international, as long as it is INTERNATIONAL English. International English is quite different from any national English. That's why oftentimes native speakers are of no help here.

Smiles,
GiddyHad
GiddyGad
Gold Member

Postby trinity19 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:26 pm

i think the "choice" of the international language in every moment of history depends on the economical power of that moment, not on which one is the easiest one so, as history changes, the international languahe will change.and i hope i don't have to live it cuz i'm not capable of learning another language! lol
trinity19
Silver Member

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Postby netyugi » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:45 am

Maeve wrote:
TP wrote:I think English is important to everyone, but Chinese is important equally. In the future, Chinese will be instead of English as the best International Communication. It will be better and better that our economic index and business are developed. It will be exceed the west countries. So more and more people will learn Chinese and come to China to do business. :wink:

I agree with you!
netyugi

Postby jackiee » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:35 pm

hi,everyone,
I think that English is the best choice for an international
language, because there are many nations use it,so it is a very
convenient tool. we have to accept it.however you like it or not,but we have to realize . basically ,it is only an international
communication tool. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jackiee

Re: We want French

Postby willzheng » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:38 am

French Guy wrote::( , I would prefer that the french language became the most popular language around the world, because I'm a french guy and it's easier for me to speak french.
But I understand that english speaking is today the most wide-spread for several reasons.
During the last four centuries the UK was the first colonial country, therefore the english language is now known by practically all the big nations. It's why it's a wise solution to approve the english language as the most popular.

(his teacher says)
However it should be remembered that at the time that the british empire was expanding so too was the french. It was perhaps only by the luck of history(France not wanting to push for colonies in india, france pulling out of america, they made perhaps not the best choice by concentrating on Africa, and of course Napoleon losing at Waterloo) that we go to McDanalds and order a Big Mac. It could so nearly have been La Grande Mac.
Donc Voila Quoi

yes,that is Right.it is a fact that most people when they go out to other countries they speak English,and they don't know your native laguage,so ohters want to talk with them,so they speak English.
And we can't choose,so we have to lear english inorde to talke with others
willzheng

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion