EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

International Communication. Why English?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby CityYoung » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:39 pm

I think english is the best beacuse most of the country teach english or use english 8)
CityYoung
Platinum Member

Re: We want French

Postby DocAndy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:11 am

Of course.
Every person would prefer his own language.
My prefer is German. :roll:

But it isn't. So I have to learn english.
My problem is to talk in English with people. Because I live in Austria and talk all day long German.
However!
:shock:
We can communicate and the best way now is English.

cheers
Doc

French Guy wrote::( , I would prefer that the french language became the most popular language around the world, because I'm a french guy and it's easier for me to speak french.
But I understand that english speaking is today the most wide-spread for several reasons.
During the last four centuries the UK was the first colonial country, therefore the english language is now known by practically all the big nations. It's why it's a wise solution to approve the english language as the most popular.

(his teacher says)
However it should be remembered that at the time that the british empire was expanding so too was the french. It was perhaps only by the luck of history(France not wanting to push for colonies in india, france pulling out of america, they made perhaps not the best choice by concentrating on Africa, and of course Napoleon losing at Waterloo) that we go to McDanalds and order a Big Mac. It could so nearly have been La Grande Mac.
Donc Voila Quoi
DocAndy

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Postby harvester » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:14 pm

TP wrote:Do you think that English is the best choice for an international language? Why? Why not?

I am not sure, but nowadays in many countries children start learning English early, when they go to school and then they finish their training later on. For example in my country (Vietnam), English is one of the main subject at school; however, some school have French beside English.
I think English is very common and very useful. If you think about it, there are so many words,for example to do with computer, particular the people working in big companies, they have to travel a lot and do business with other contries..., E can help you to communicate together easily. Eglish is the most widely used around the world. It has been used in all the fields of public activily. If you master it, you can go to any continent in the world, I think, I mean it easier to understand the other countries.
We are the world,
harvester
Gold Member

Hi!!

Postby Freyda » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:35 am

Hey..guys...

Well... here i think that English be as International Language because of it is used widely and most people able to communicate and read using English. Thus, that's maybe the one of the reasons why it happen.

But, other language also got power right? It just the matter that seems everyone agree with the English use.

To me, English also is easier to learn than the other language such as Spanish and Frances.
Freyda

Postby Cucumber » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:14 pm

The simplest language in the world is russian! I know this because I I'd learnt it when I was only 1,5. Now I'm not so yong but other languages is so difficult to me!
Cucumber
Gold Member

Postby kathymimi » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:32 am

maybe English is not the best choice for international communication, but it does happen.
English is using worldwide now because it is the language of business and, there are so many English clubs or forums like this that help the spread of the language.

if there are more and more people around the world use another language, such as Chinese, French, Germany or, some else, in their daily lives, that will take place of English.

whether using English when communicating with others is not the point, the custom of using it is.
kathymimi

Postby Laxuan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:42 am

Nowadays people using english as a native language is still increasing but quite slowly to compare with some other language such as chinese, japanese, french. so in the future, I think english wont be the most popular language
Laxuan
Silver Member

Postby chenggiant » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:07 am

This is what i want to know. Now, i have got the answer from the disscussion.
chenggiant

Postby kalery » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:54 am

My native language is Chinese.But I have to learn English in order to find a good job and communication with foreigners .Lots of companies require the graduates pass a English Exam named CET when he graduate from university.If you master this language and can speak it fluent,you can have more opportunities.So in my Country,many parents send their children to have a English Class when they are only 3-year-old even more younger....
kalery

Postby ailamvn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:29 am

i think the choice of being an international language depends on the power of the country who owns it. Let's imagine that i have my own language which is very hard to speak and understand both in the way to use and communicate, but i have a great power that made my language become yours, and how's on? you do surely have to learn and use it although you find it not easy at all. Thus ditto the English language! it is chosen to be our language 'coz it is powerful and got familiar to all for a very long time in the past that you will find it outstrategous and ridiculous when using something else as the common bridge to everyone...
By the way, English is really great to speak!
Last edited by ailamvn on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ailamvn

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion