EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Studying pronunciation is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: Pronunciation waste time.

Postby aghast » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:23 am

Mariam Nakhla wrote:Pronunciation is not waste of time. I am substitute teacher, I have accent so I have problem with kids. Sometime they do not understand me and I feel bad. I took a course about Odium and pronunciation but it take time to see how you progress. : :roll:

Maybe you should also take a few more lessons in English grammar too?
aghast

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:14 am

pronunciation is very important . if you don't pronunce the word correctly be sure the receiver will missunderstand you .I am talking about the RP pronunciation. the british one. I would be greatful if I find an other teacher to discuss this topic this is my email ( ziouzioua@yahoo.co.uk ) :?:

Re: pronunciation

Postby Mr.x » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:38 pm

birrell wrote:
rjcglass wrote:Sorry guys, but pronunciation is super important. I have had so many students who know grammer well, have a good vocabulary, but have horrible pronunciation, so what good is knowing English if you cant pronounce it? English pronunciation is very difficult, but very necessary if you are trying to make someone understand you.

Which pronunciation? The American pronunciation or the Estuary English pronunciation?
:D
Mr.x

Pronunciation

Postby Lynne » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:19 am

I cannot believe that some people think pronunciation is not important, of course if you just spend your life on the message boards....

Face to face in the real world however, it isn't just what you say, but how you say it. People won't want to talk to you if they can't understand you, it's just too tiring. This doesn't mean that we all have to talk like the Queen of England though, as long as people can understand you that's fine. :wink:

And if you don't believe me listen to that famous 'Pronunciation poem', then you will realise just how important it is.

Pronunciation Please
Lynne

pronounciation

Postby costadina » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:47 pm

[iIs pronounciaton important? I'll say! Has anyone ever tried to listen to someone mispronounce words. I have students whose pronounciation is so bad even if I have the text in front of me I can't understand what they are saying. If supposedly we learn a language in order to communicate in it, what good does it do to not be able to speak clearly. It doesn't matter what accent you have as long as you speak clearly, otherwise noone will understand you. :!: ][/i]
costadina

Re: Pronunciation waste time?i do not think so.

Postby xingjing » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:27 am

Mariam Nakhla wrote:Pronunciation is not waste of time. I am substitute teacher, I have accent so I have problem with kids. Sometime they do not understand me and I feel bad. I took a course about Odium and pronunciation but it take time to see how you progress. : :roll:

i am a chinese and i like your opinions.are you an american?
xingjing

Re: Pronunciation

Postby xingjing » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:31 am

[quote="Lynne"]I cannot believe that some people think pronunciation is not important, of course if you just spend your life on the message boards....

Face to face in the real world however, it isn't just what you say, but how you say it. People won't want to talk to you if they can't understand you, it's just too tiring. This doesn't mean that we all have to talk like the Queen of England though, as long as people can understand you that's fine. :wink:

And if you don't believe me listen to that famous 'Pronunciation poem', then you will realise just how important it is.

can i make a friend with you ?
xingjing

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:29 am

Studying pronunciation is a waste of time :evil: :P :arrow:

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion