EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Studying pronunciation is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: pronunciation

Postby sothy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:17 am

birrell wrote:
rjcglass wrote:Sorry guys, but pronunciation is super important. I have had so many students who know grammer well, have a good vocabulary, but have horrible pronunciation, so what good is knowing English if you cant pronounce it? English pronunciation is very difficult, but very necessary if you are trying to make someone understand you.

Which pronunciation? The American pronunciation or the Estuary English pronunciation?
:
sothy

Postby James Zh » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:54 pm

Pronunciation is really important. We use words to communicate in real life. Bad pronunciation will cause mass misunderstanding. If people can't understand what you say, they will have no interest to talk to you.
James Zh

Postby sanhong3 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:08 pm

I strongly object to it.I believe that the pronunciation is fundmental.of course it's very important.it can help us a lot with our listening skills.if we can't master the pronunciation well,we'll find many obstacles when listening.also it can enhance our confidence in english learning.the key to success lies in practice.practice,practice,practice the pronunciation.believe me,it will benefit u a lot.
sanhong3

Postby sunflower » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:03 am

:D
Well , I can affirm that pronunciation is very important for all of us . You can't imagine how would you study English without pronunciation ? You can still speak English but nobody can understand what you are saying . Only by learning pronunciation , you can master English . Now I'm the first year student . Previously , when I learned at my high school, my form teacher didn't pay attention to pronunciation. But when I go to the university , everything changed. At first I found that pronunciation is very difficult . But gradually I find that I can speak English well if I don't learn pronuncitation . So I can say that pronunciation is very important for all of us .
sunflower
sunflower

Re: Studying Pronunciation is a Waste of Time!

Postby gulf girl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:47 am

Talking Point wrote:Studying Pronunciation is a Waste of Time!

What do you think?

I'm not agree with you brother. I feel it is so important to learn the pronunciation rules for thetarget language to be effective in it. I like this cours so much when I have been studied it.
If you don't know what you looking for, you'll never find it.
gulf girl

Pronunciation is very important.

Postby Judy2004 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:20 am

It is undoubted that pronunciation is very important for every language.If you can't pronounce correctly or properly,how can you understand others and how can you make yourself understoood?

Sometimes,we have such experience:we only hear the voice of a stranger who is out of sight.If he or she can pronounce clearly and correctly,have a very good intonation,it is like the music to our ear and we are pleased to enjoy listening,simultaneously, we may automatically form a mental picture about the stranger that he or she must have good personalities and great charm and have a pleasant appearance,which may promote us to come close to him or her and make friends with him or her.From this point of view,pronunciation is one part of first impression and also our name card,so we should try our best to make our name card as beautiful and graceful as possible.

Some of us maybe come across such situation where we are requested to repeat what we have just said more than one time due to our incorrect pronunciation.As we repeat the sentence slowly,we may feel a little embarrassed and lose some confidence in ourselves,sometimes even forget what we will speak.

Certainly,it is not necessary for us to speak as well as a local,however,we are supposed to improve pronunciation to smooth our communication.
Judy2004

Postby Fenerbahçeli » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:47 pm

how can I memorize them? it is difficult to learn them. I think my grammer is well but vocabulary and pronounce aren't well. what can I do to develop them?
Fenerbahçeli

Postby Arale » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:58 am

It depends. But I never think it wastes time to learn it, even for non-professional learners.

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby D » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:01 am

The entire debate is preposterous — of course pronunciation and enunciation matter! After all, who can be bothered talking to someone whose oral deliveries sound like home-invented grunting language? 'So wot if thoyve bin learnin inglish f'yeez if u caan undastan' a bloin word thayr soyin?'

I contribute regularly to another messageboard for English learners, and I find it amazing how sooner or later there is always a less advanced learner who dare suggest that 'grammar is useless' and 'pronunciation doesn't matter'.

Ironically enough, it's usually also the same people whose English orthography leaves a tad, or many tads, to be desired. How easy it is to discard what one doesn't understand!

D
D

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion